Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
lonesome55dove

Random question about wild bird feathers?

I'm sure I'm putting this question in the wrong place but I'm not sure where to put it so if it needs to be relocated please let me know. Thank you.

This is the question:

On a website that I use quite frequently someone from North Carolina has Mourning Dove feathers for sale...the sale of wild bird feathers is illegal isn't it? Thank you for any input. :) 

You can possess Mourning Dove feathers if you have a hunting license, but I'm pretty sure selling them is prohibited.

I can't say for sure but I think game bird feathers and farm raised bird feathers can be sold although it might vary by state. I know that certain feathers can be purchased for fly tying purposes.

6 minutes ago, creeker said:

You can possess Mourning Dove feathers if you have a hunting license, but I'm pretty sure selling them is prohibited.

I agree, Mourning Doves are considered a game bird in some states, North Carolina being one of those states...so with proper hunting licenses and taken in season it would be legal to posses feathers but the sale of the feathers is another issue altogether.  However, the person states that the feathers were collected from his property and were either shed or were the result of a raptor kill...which I think would deem the sale of the feathers as illegal.  Aren't Mourning Doves protected under the Migratory Bird Act?  Thank you for your input. :) ld55

16 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

I can't say for sure but I think game bird feathers and farm raised bird feathers can be sold although it might vary by state. I know that certain feathers can be purchased for fly tying purposes.

I'm pretty sure you are right...but I don't think Mourning Doves fall into that category. Thanks for your help. :) ld55

37 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

I agree, Mourning Doves are considered a game bird in some states,

Wow! Do people shoot them? And is there anything left to eat once they've done that?

1 hour ago, Aveschapines said:

Wow! Do people shoot them? And is there anything left to eat once they've done that?

Yes, sadly some US states have a hunting season for them...including my state which is Washington.   That is a very good question as they are quite small...however, the daily bag limit is usually around 15 birds so I guess if you have 15 of them there might be enough for a small meal.  :) ld55

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lonesome55dove said:

Yes, sadly some US states have a hunting season for them...including my state which is Washington.   That is a very good question as they are quite small...however, the daily bag limit is usually around 15 birds so I guess if you have 15 of them there might be enough for a small meal.  :) ld55

People eat Rock Pigeons here (I've had them; if you forget they are pigeons they taste good) but they don't shoot them!  Once when my Tía Espe made them I was introduced to lunch, trapped and in a cage, the day before. And yes, not too much meat on one bird; generally everyone gets two or three each.

I remember once someone who was working on pipes in our basement came over. He had just come back from a hunting trip and had six blue-winged teal (which hurt because they're one of my favorite birds) and either a mourning or Eurasian collared dove.

Takes about four or five Mourning Dove breasts to make a meal. Us hunters pump a lot of money in taxes and licenses into habitat restoration and maintenance. Limits are monitored by fish and game. Recently, California upped the limit on combined doves (White-winged and Mourning) from 10 to 15, so I'm guessing the population is still increasing.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2017 at 5:27 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

I contacted the support team for the website but they have not made a ruling yet on whether to allow or ban the sale of wild bird feathers. I hope they will vote to ban...I  will update the forum with any info regarding the issue. :) 

On 12/29/2017 at 6:10 AM, Aveschapines said:

People eat Rock Pigeons here (I've had them; if you forget they are pigeons they taste good) but they don't shoot them!  Once when my Tía Espe made them I was introduced to lunch, trapped and in a cage, the day before. And yes, not too much meat on one bird; generally everyone gets two or three each.

''if you forget they are pigeons they taste good''...lol! 

Yikes! I prefer not to get too friendly with my food before I eat it!  I've seen recipes for Pigeon Stew w/ Dumplings in game cookbooks so maybe that is how some people cook them. :)  

These were cooked in white wine sauce, a specialty of Tía Espe's. I have long since gotten over squeamishness about getting to know your dinner! One year when I had live turkeys for Thanksgiving I did call them "cena" (dinner). Another time I bought my Guatemalan mom some ducklings in the market, and she invited me over for lunch several months later when she cooked one of them.

On 12/29/2017 at 6:20 AM, Nighthawk01 said:

I remember once someone who was working on pipes in our basement came over. He had just come back from a hunting trip and had six blue-winged teal (which hurt because they're one of my favorite birds) and either a mourning or Eurasian collared dove.

I don't think Eurasian Doves are protected as they are not native to US. I know there has to be some sort of ''management'' for wildlife otherwise we'd be over ran with critters but it sure is sad sometimes. :)

47 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

These were cooked in white wine sauce, a specialty of Tía Espe's. I have long since gotten over squeamishness about getting to know your dinner! One year when I had live turkeys for Thanksgiving I did call them "cena" (dinner). Another time I bought my Guatemalan mom some ducklings in the market, and she invited me over for lunch several months later when she cooked one of them.

Mmm, that actually sounds good.  I was raised on a farm so we butchered cows, pigs and chickens for food and there are hunters in my family so I'm not really squeamish. :)