Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

    • Bigfoot

      Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

      'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

      Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

      Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Lance2411

Pileated or Ivory-Billed Woodpecker??? Spotted & Recorded in forest (Crockett, TX) on 12/30/17

Recommended Posts

Hello Members,

I do not know much about bird identification, but I do appreciate beautiful animals of all species...especially in their native environment(s).  I researched various bird ID groups and found this one to be the most straight-forward and knowledgeable, so I joined with hopes that someone smarter than I on the subject, could possibly help to identify a particular bird I watched (and was wowed by), at close range, over the course of about an hour.  Thanks in advance to anyone who has a few minutes to spend reading this, and any additional info/intel you could share. 

I was in my elevated (10') hunting blind, this past Saturday Morning (12/30/17), in the thick piney woods of NE TX (Crockett, TX / Houston County / 75835 Zip Code) and watched this Wodpecker move from tree to tree (about 5 different trees in total, spending about 20 minutes at each tree).  I first heard him or her and wondered if it was even a woodpecker at all - on account the "strikes" I was hearing seemed to be much louder, stronger, slower in succession, and with longer pauses in-between - compared to any otger woodpeckers I'd ever known, across my 20+ years of being an avid outdoorsman.  When I first laid eyes on him/her, I was absolutely blown away by the size of this bird.  By far the largest woodpecker I've ever seen...bigger than any Crow (and there are a lot of Crows in East TX, so I've seen my share of those for sure).

While he/she was at the first tree (about 20 yards away, 20'above my vantage point, and 30' feom the ground) - I was able to get several few pics and a 1 minute video of the bird, which I'll upload here for your review. I just wish they (pics/vid) were of better quality, so I'm hoping they can still help.  

At each tree, he/she would peck at the main trunk and the branches as well...and did not seem to discriminate between trees that were dead vs. alive.  He/she did stick to pine trees though, leaving the oak's and cedar's alone. As he/she was flying from tree to tree, I noticed that the underside of its wings were white.  When I got home, I Googled the bird and was unable to decifer between the Pileated vs. Ivory-Billed variety of Woodpecker, and couldnt ID the bird's sex either.  I know to always take Google with a grain of salt, which is why I'm here, but going solely from what I read on Google...Google "told" me that the Pileated is smaller than a Crow - the one I saw was much larger than any Crow. However, I'm not sure if the Ivory-Billed would be any larger than a Pileated (or not)?  Google also "said" the Pileated has a shorter neck than the Ivory-Billed - the bird I saw had a very long neck, a characteristic that stood out to me right, off the bat - and even moreso after looking at the pics/video again.  

I hope I wasn't rambling...I just wanted to share any/all details I could recall. Aiming to let you (the experts) decide which were helpful, vs. not.

The Video and 2 Pictures can be found here (please let me know if/of any issues Re: trying to access)....

Folder: 1 Video & 2 Pictures

Thank you all, once again.  

Gratefully,

Lance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ivory-billed Woodpecker is presumed to be extinct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bird in the video has a solid black back, thus a Pileated.  Ivory-billed would show extensive white from behind from the white secondary feathers.

Also, the remaining Ivory-billeds are (NOT 'were' :D) primarily birds of undisturbed swamps or wetlands.  Piney forests are the domain of Pileateds.

Sorry.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Whatbird!!

Sadly Ivory-billed are presumed to be extinct (like what BigOly said) So most likely Pileated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

Ivory-billeds are extinct.

Didn't someone down in one of Mississippi's many swamps think they saw one last year or so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all...for the warm welcome, and quick feedback!!!

I did find where the Ivory-Billed was/is thought to be extinct, but I'd also found other articles similar to this one published on 1/25/17 - where a gentleman saw 10 of them between 2005 - 2013, through a 1,500 hours of study, in Louisiana and Mississippi.  Extinct or not? New study claims 'extinct' ivory-billed woodpecker is still alive

In Arkansas, 2015, etc...

I had also assumed it had to be a Pilated, but I do know a lot about ducks and geese - and the neck on the bird I saw was very long, like a "lesser" goose. I tried to convince myself it couldn't be (Ivory-billed), but the more I studied it ,the more I couldn't dismiss it as a possibility...yes, as rare as it would be.

The place I saw it, is about a 1 hour drive outside of LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @CharlieSpencer!  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks to everyone else as well.  I appreciate the discussion and hope others may have learned something too, resulting from my inquiry and subsequent dialougue.  If not "learned", then perhaps opened the door to possibly challenging their own position, internalky, re: whether the ivory-billed woodpecker is really extinct or not?!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MerMaeve said:

Didn't someone down in one of Mississippi's many swamps think they saw one last year or so?

No... they said they did with no proof as far as I can remember.  Never seems to be any proof... wonder why?

 

BTW... I saw a Carolina Parakeet as a flyover last summer as I was passing through... couldn't get a pic unfortunately. ;)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

BTW... I saw a Carolina Parakeet as a flyover last summer as I was passing through... couldn't get a pic unfortunately. ;)

WHAT????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carolina Parakeet

The bird was rarely reported outside Florida after 1860, and was considered extinct by the 1920s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, birdbrain22 said:

BTW... I saw a Carolina Parakeet as a flyover last summer as I was passing through... couldn't get a pic unfortunately. ;)

 

Was that the one that was In formation with three Passenger Pigeons and Great Auk?  Yeah, I saw those...  <_<

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Was that the one that was In formation with three Passenger Pigeons and Great Auk?  Yeah, I saw those...  <_<

and the Dodos too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigOly said:

and the Dodos too.

there was also a Bachman's Warbler :P:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to get a photo of an Ivory-billed but a Sasquatch (Bigfoot) scared it off.

At least Ivory-bills actually did exist once. Many reasons why some people would like to imagine that they still do.

"In economically struggling east Arkansas, the speculation of a possible return of the Ivory-bill has served as a great source of economic exploitation, with tourist spending up 30%, primarily in and around the city of Brinkley, Arkansas. A woodpecker "festival", a woodpecker hairstyle (a sort of mohawk with red, white, and black dye), and an "Ivory-bill Burger" (made with 100% beef) have been featured locally. The lack of confirmed proof of the bird's existence, and the extremely small chance of actually seeing the bird even if it does exist (especially since the exact locations of the reported sightings are still guarded), have prevented the explosion in tourism some locals had anticipated." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory-billed_woodpecker

"The Ivory-billed Woodpecker's habitat should be protected despite the lack of definitive evidence of this species' existence, according to a new study published in Heliyon."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-01-ivory-billed-woodpecker-habitat.html#jCp

Unfortunately for the latter example, the current ongoing massacre of bird habitat in the SE to produce wood pellets to be used on an industrial scale to make electricity in Europe is definitely not helping at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, douginBC said:

I was just about to get a photo of an Ivory-billed but a Sasquatch (Bigfoot) scared it off.

LOL! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lance2411 said:

Thanks @CharlieSpencer!  Exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks to everyone else as well.  I appreciate the discussion and hope others may have learned something too, resulting from my inquiry and subsequent dialougue.  If not "learned", then perhaps opened the door to possibly challenging their own position, internalky, re: whether the ivory-billed woodpecker is really extinct or not?!  :)

Welcome to WhatBird! 

The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker is considered extinct by scientists, but has captured the public's fancy much like the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot. There have been a lot of sightings reported, but not confirmed. Thank you for sharing your sighting, and including photos. But Ivory-Billed Woodpecker sightings definitely fall into the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" category. We say "presumed" extinct only because humans can't be in every spot on earth at all times, making it extremely difficult to prove that something doesn't exist. But if we are thoughtful about our observations, like you were, we can learn a lot of important lessons. It is VERY hard to judge the size of birds in the field, and we have all been fooled by that at some point. A beautiful, impressive, unfamiliar bird may look larger or smaller than it actually was. Also in addition to field marks, we have to consider habitat; Ivory-Billeds did not live in dry froests, but in wooded swamps. And finally, when scientists and highly experienced elite birders have searched for a bird for decades and not found it, how likely is it that an amateur runs into one accidentally? 

But the Ivory-Billed was a gorgeous bird, and it is fun for some to hold out hope that a small breeding population  has escaped our detection somehow (because any individual birds would be long dead by now) and one will appear someday. However, the sightings people report turn out to be Pileated.

Congratulations on getting bitten by the birding bug. Hope you come back with other exciting sightings we can confirm, because there are still plenty of beautiful birds out there to find. And just in case it's not obvious, people are now having fun reporting other extinct species. We all wish we could see one of these one day, but the chances are vanishingly small.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aveschapines said:

Welcome to WhatBird! 

The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker is considered extinct by scientists, but has captured the public's fancy much like the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot. There have been a lot of sightings reported, but not confirmed. Thank you for sharing your sighting, and including photos. But Ivory-Billed Woodpecker sightings definitely fall into the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" category. We say "presumed" extinct only because humans can't be in every spot on earth at all times, making it extremely difficult to prove that something doesn't exist. But if we are thoughtful about our observations, like you were, we can learn a lot of important lessons. It is VERY hard to judge the size of birds in the field, and we have all been fooled by that at some point. A beautiful, impressive, unfamiliar bird may look larger or smaller than it actually was. Also in addition to field marks, we have to consider habitat; Ivory-Billeds did not live in dry froests, but in wooded swamps. And finally, when scientists and highly experienced elite birders have searched for a bird for decades and not found it, how likely is it that an amateur runs into one accidentally? 

But the Ivory-Billed was a gorgeous bird, and it is fun for some to hold out hope that a small breeding population  has escaped our detection somehow (because any individual birds would be long dead by now) and one will appear someday. However, the sightings people report turn out to be Pileated.

Congratulations on getting bitten by the birding bug. Hope you come back with other exciting sightings we can confirm, because there are still plenty of beautiful birds out there to find. And just in case it's not obvious, people are now having fun reporting other extinct species. We all wish we could see one of these one day, but the chances are vanishingly small.

THIS is why you are a moderator.  Well said!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next y'all are gonna be telling me Elvis is dead too.  Y'all just keep believing that stuff.  I gots me a tin foil hat that keeps the gubermint from zapping muh brain with their radiation waves.

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×