Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Melkor

Nutrients added to sunflower seeds?

Hi Folks-

I just picked up a big bag of black oil sunflower seeds, and noticed that it has "Bird-Kote", which means there have been vitamins and nutrients added. I suppose it's "safe", but I am generally hesitant to purchase modified foods, even for birds, so I was curious what everyone's thoughts are.

A lot of things have been called "safe" over the decades, only to find out there are long term negative effects....

Thanks, Happy New Year!

Scott

That's Pennington brand, right?  I've used that and haven't noticed any problems, other than the four-winged House Finches and the glow-in-the-dark Whip-Poor-Wills  ;)

The 'Royal Wing' brand of black oil sunflower seed ('BOSS' for short) from Tractor Supply is usually cheaper, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Pennington if I couldn't get the less expensive stuff.

LOL Charlie!!!!  That's hilarious.  But as for seed and added nutrients, I'm really not sure if there's any real data on long-term effects on birds, especially if this is a new thing.  However, there is a 'hybrid' safflower seed that we're using which the birds LOVE, and it's called Nutri-Saff.  It's brown, instead of white, and it contains more oil than the white variety.  We have a good mix we buy that contains the white, but we mix white millet and Nutri-Saff and the birds devour it.  We keep several feeders in front and back and put different types of seed etc in them too.  But supposedly the Nutri-Saff is healthier for the birds and supplies them with additional seed oils than the usual variety.  I guess we don't really know if the new and/or 'improved' seeds will help in the long run, so all we can do is make choices and wait and see if we have glow in the dark birds as Charlie mentioned. ;p

20 minutes ago, SummerShaddow said:

I'm really not sure if there's any real data on long-term effects on birds, especially if this is a new thing.

I don't know about data either, but there's nothing new about it.  Pennington has been coating their BOSS for decades.

Oh, and welcome to Whatbird!

Just now, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't know about data either, but there's nothing new about it.  Pennington has been coating their BOSS for decades.

Oh, and welcome to Whatbird!

Well, if it's been around a while that's definitely a good sign.  And thanks!!!  Cool forums! :D