Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.

8 minutes ago, geoffclarke said:

Why not a Song Sparrow. Streaking doesn't look very fine and I see very little buffiness.

It has too fine streaking, too much buffieness, and a pink bill where as a Song has a gray-ish bill.

• Like 1

Ridgway's rail, Western Grebe, Horned Grebe, Lincoln's Sparrow.

The sparrow is almost certainly a juvenile Song Sparrow. It's not an adult of either species based on the face pattern and the nature of the streaking below. Lincoln's don't show up in Marin county in numbers until September (the latter half of August has a few records) but those aren't going to be in juvenile plumage.

• Like 1

Just now, psweet said:

The sparrow is almost certainly a juvenile Song Sparrow. It's not an adult of either species based on the face pattern and the nature of the streaking below. Lincoln's don't show up in Marin county in numbers until September (the latter half of August has a few records) but those aren't going to be in juvenile plumage.

Hmmm. I guess I can see that.....Still think Lincoln's but I don't want to argue. 

Juvenile Lincoln's and juvenile Songs are very difficult to distinguish, actually. Of course, usually the parents are nearby, which helps.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, psweet said:

I agree with psweet - juvenile Song Sparrow.

Agree with Horned Grebe ... I made this comparison between Horned and Eared for myself a couple of years back ...

25611788871_3dbebc733f_b.jpg

• Like 1

Yea, I'd go with Song Sparrow for that last one. Pretty much a perfect match for a juvie heermani group

Decidedly a juv Song -- the streaking on the chest is over white, not buff, and juv Lincoln's will have molted out of juv plumage before they get to coastal CA.  The big grebe's bill looks a bit too orange for Western, though that appearance could be a photographic artifact.  Certainly, the plumage looks like that of Western and not of Clark's.  However, hybrids are not rare, and there are also back-crosses.  Or, at least, birds that look like the result of back-crossing.

2 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

back-crosses

Is that when they hybridize and then the young breed with one of the original species? 

Thanks everyone for the info. If I recall there were a few adult song sparrows hanging around the day I took that shot so Juvi Song sparrow would make a lot of sense.

Here's another shot of that Grebe if it helps. 

38726639174_abebdb10ad_k.jpgIMG_5836 by Jason, on Flickr