Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
flapick

Wet warbler(?) ID

A friend sent me this pic of a wet "warbler-sized" bird to ID. My best guess is HY Yellow Warbler, though my confidence level is low. Seen with a mixed warbler/vireo flock in Palm Beach, FL on 12/25.

DSCN5332 (2).JPG

HY means Hatch Year. Given the date of the photo, that would mean it hatched last summer, if the OP's guess is correct. Given what appears to be white on the outer tail feathers, I'm not so sure, but I can't nail down an ID.

3 minutes ago, psweet said:

Given what appears to be white on the outer tail feathers, I'm not so sure, but I can't nail down an ID.

That is exactly what has me baffled. 

Magnoila is the only warbler that i can think of that has the white outer tail covets but it is way off.

You can see some traces of yellow in the undertail coverts. I don't think the undertail is as continuously dark as suggested by the photo. Why not the expected...Palm Warbler?

15 minutes ago, MarkBird said:

Why not the expected...Palm Warbler?

Excellent points and probably correct now that I'm looking closer at a brightened up version. However, I can't live with the shame of having a guy in St Pete IDing a Palm Warbler for me, so we'll have to come up with something else.;) 

9 minutes ago, flapick said:

I can't live with the shame of having a guy in St Pete IDing a Palm Warbler for me, so we'll have to come up with something else.;) 

When in doubt, invoke the H word

I do agree that Palm & Prairie are the best candidates, and I don't think Palm is 100%. The potential black arc under the eye could fit Prairie, although I'm surprised at how non-uniform the breast and belly look even when wet. With the heavy bill and forked tail, I first tried to see this bird as a Pine...but just can't see it with the shape or yellow undertail coverts. Brazilian Pepper better fits Prairie & Palm habitat too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, flapick said:

A friend sent me this pic of a wet "warbler-sized" bird to ID. My best guess is HY Yellow Warbler, though my confidence level is low. Seen with a mixed warbler/vireo flock in Palm Beach, FL on 12/25.

I'm wondering if a female American Restart might be a possibility. I have no idea what a HY American Redstart would look like, never mind a wet one. I only suggest American Redstart for discussion based on the possibility that the outer tail feathers might actually be more yellow than white. Could it be a possibility?

14 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I'm wondering if a female American Restart might be a possibility. I have no idea what a HY American Redstart would look like, never mind a wet one. I only suggest American Redstart for discussion based on the possibility that the outer tail feathers might actually be more yellow than white. Could it be a possibility?

That would be a pretty green/yellow American Redstart...and the beak looks too big to me.

6 hours ago, MarkBird said:

I do agree that Palm & Prairie are the best candidates, and I don't think Palm is 100%. The potential black arc under the eye could fit Prairie, although I'm surprised at how non-uniform the breast and belly look even when wet. With the heavy bill and forked tail, I first tried to see this bird as a Pine...but just can't see it with the shape or yellow undertail coverts. Brazilian Pepper better fits Prairie & Palm habitat too.

That's actually a Paradise Tree, but all 3 of the species you mentioned (along with at least 10 more likely candidates) are all present at this location.

2 hours ago, flapick said:

That's actually a Paradise Tree

Thank you for the correction. It's interesting how the new growth is reddish and similar, but it's great to learn about a different native Florida tree.

Hard to say for sure since this bird is a wet mess, but I'll throw female Hooded into the mix. They often show white coloring on the tail feathers.

This is a pic from All about Birds...  

Image result for hy female hooded warbler

16 hours ago, birdbrain22 said:

Hard to say for sure since this bird is a wet mess, but I'll throw female Hooded into the mix. They often show white coloring on the tail feathers.

This is a pic from All about Birds...  

Image result for hy female hooded warbler

That is the best match yet.

Actually, I'm now leaning toward female BT Blue, having noticed the white flash on the wing. The couple of undertail pics I can find also show white edging on the tail feathers. Here's one taken off Google

banding186.jpg

1 minute ago, flapick said:

Actually, I'm now leaning toward female BT Blue, having noticed the white flash on the wing. The couple of undertail pics I can find also show white edging on the tail feathers. Here's one taken off Google

banding186.jpg

Sorry, but the face isn't that dark, or the throat that white, or is there a supersillium.

3 minutes ago, flapick said:

By my count, that's 9 species proposed so far! 

Yup!  And no confirmed answer......:(