Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
TexasCobra

Seven birds in the treetops. Texas 78070 1/4/2018

Did you turn the color up? Second from the right is patterned like a male House Sparrow, but with a bright yellow bellow. The red one on the left is also different, but I can't tell from this pic.

The image is moderately color saturated.  I am a photographer, not a birder.  I did not tint or retouch the image.  I have house sparrows nesting in a purple martin house in my backyard where this was taken. I think the bird at far right is also a house sparrow.  The red bird is one I cannot identify.    

The angle of the sun is creating an orange tint on the birds.  I would suggest you re-crop the photo to primarily only be focused on the red bird.  Even if it is grainy, it could give more detail of body and bill shape.

This is the bird cropped from the original image.  I made no other alteration to the image captured by my Canon EOS 70D with EF 70-300 mm 4-5.6 lens.  The only filter is a Cokin circular polarizer 058 attached to the lens.

IMG_5770 cropped

I don't see any streaking on the breast so I ruled out House Finch.  The tail doesn't look like it has enough of a notch to justify Purple Finch.

Where in Texas?

It is a House Finch.  Photos of this quality don't show streaking very well.

Here's what I think for the original photo from left to right:

Lesser Goldfinch, House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, House Sparrow?, Lesser Goldfinch, House Sparrow, House Sparrow?

• Like 1

Isn't "Seven Birds in the Treetops" a country song?  If it's not, it should be.

37 minutes ago, Dax said:

Isn't "Seven Birds in the Treetops" a country song?  If it's not, it should be.

You're thinking of the musical, "Seven Birds for Seven Brothers",

• Like 2

Is this the same bird?  The two photos were taken within one minute of each other.  The configuration of bill, breast, and tail appear similar to me.

Out on a Limb

16 minutes ago, TexasCobra said:

Is this the same bird?  The two photos were taken within one minute of each other.  The configuration of bill, breast, and tail appear similar to me.

Out on a Limb

No, that is a dove of some sort in that photo.  Looks like a White-winged Dove.

36 minutes ago, TexasCobra said:

Out on a Limb

Take another look at them and see if you can spot these differences.

This bird (White-Winged Dove) has a much longer and narrower bill than any of the birds in the first photo.  The breast is much plumper.  It may be difficult to tell without them being side by side, but this is twice the size of the others.  It has a narrow white band on the leading edge of the wing, but none of the red or yellow markings of various finches.

6 minutes ago, TexasCobra said:

Thank you, Charlie.

You're more than welcome.  I didn't want to come across as lecturing.  You said you're primarily a photographer, and I wanted to point out some of the things birders pay attention to, just in case you get interested.

Me, I'm lucky if I can hold my point-and-shoot steady.  Occasionally I get motivated to play with the aperture or shutter speed, get confused, wet myself, and run back to Auto with my tail between my legs.  :(  You might want to check this other forum here on the Whatbird site:

https://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/forum/1410-photo-sharing-and-discussion/

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Double post.  Please ignore.  Deletion requested.

I'm sorry, there have been some changes in the settings recently and moderators can no longer delete posts; but your edit should take care of it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Me, I'm lucky if I can hold my point-and-shoot steady. 

Charlie you need to get a camera with image stabilization. Not expensive. I use a little (old) Linux and it works so well I can barely believe it sometimes. Shots taken at full zoom (18 X) with 1/20 second or even slower sometimes come out sharp - shots that would never come close to being sharp with good old film cameras. How it works who knows but it does work and I'm sure the newer models work even better.

1 minute ago, douginBC said:

Charlie you need to get a camera with image stabilization. Not expensive. I use a little (old) Linux and it works so well I can barely believe it sometimes. Shots taken at full zoom (18 X) with 1/20 second or even slower sometimes come out sharp - shots that would never come close to being sharp with good old film cameras. How it works who knows but it does work and I'm sure the newer models work even better.

Thanks for the reminder.  I recently reset the camera to the factory defaults and forgot to re-enable that!

4 hours ago, TexasCobra said:

Is this the same bird?  The two photos were taken within one minute of each other. 

Oh no. I just finished composing my 'Seven birds' song and now there are eight!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, douginBC said:

All my photos (Ok maybe no all but close) I take are with a Panasonic Lumix.  See photo of the model camera below.  It takes great photos!

Related image