Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
rsnyder

Review of itinerary for Costa Rica trip

Been there twice. Want to revisit a couple of areas and desire to add new ones. Looking at 14 days or so. Besides nites in San Jose before and after in-country travel was thinking of 3 nites Arenal, 3 nites Cano Negro, 3 nites Carara area, 2 nites at Rancho Naturalista, and then possibily 3 nites at either Monteverde or La Selva. No order to the forementioned areas. Wondering about La Selva versus Monteverde. Welcome thoughts. Travel in late April into early May.

Thanks

I can't help a ton, but I'd suggest reading through these reports. It looks like they visited most of the places you mentioned, and might give you ideas on which species you want to see, if any specifics, and where to see them. With a quick search, it looks like Rfurnish went to Monteverde, but not La Selva, and vice versa with the other, so it might be helpful to compare the two this way. 

https://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115777-costa-rica-march-2014/&

https://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115728-trip-report-to-costa-rica/&

On 1/12/2018 at 3:25 PM, rsnyder said:

Thanks,

Decided to include both of them in our trip.

Just now seeing this, but good idea! Judging from your itinerary, both would add you new species. Monteverde probably more so than La Selva but depends on whether you did highland birding between lodges.

thanks JimBob,

Plan on having guides at both areas for parts of visit each. Will let Nature surprise us!

Both La Selva and Monteverde would be great.  However, you'd be remiss to visit Costa Rica and not see a Resplendent Quetzel, so I'd say you should go to Monteverde.  Alternatively, I really enjoyed the Savegre area.

Often I'll refer to tour company's webpages to get an idea of what a good itinerary is.  Here are a just a couple examples:

http://www.costaricagateway.com/itineraries

http://www.aratinga-tours.com/birdwatching-tours-costa-rica/

Thanks. Have seen several Resplendent Quetel on 2010 trip particularly while at Savegre area.  Seeing another or two would be great as well. And, first two and this trip are via Costa Rica Gateway. 

Been to CR birding seven times.  Every trip an exciting new region.   A few ideas:

1)  Quetzals near Mt Chirripo.

2) Rancho Naturalista in mountains east of San Jose is a fantastic birding destination (snowcap hummingbird is a featured species)

3) Peace Lodge north of San Jose is a quirky, touristy, cheesy, lodge, but has the best hummingbird watching in all of Costa Rica.  I picked up 13 species in one day. 

Good luck.