Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
SummerShaddow

Carolina Wren Nest Box placement help

I've been literally reading online for months about what type of nest box to get in hopes of our Carolina Wren pair chooses it for their nesting.  I've read so many conflicting articles online re hole size, floor size, where to place, etc., etc.... that I'm more confused than I've ever been in my life.  I think I've narrowed it down as to what to put out, but this is my first time putting out a bird house for them, or whoever wants to claim it for their own.

I got a slot box as I kept reading that the ones with the hole is very hard for them to get sticks in to build their intricate nest.  We have an old bluebird house (this was bought before we knew our habitat wasn't right for them, not wide open but tree-lined, shrubby, gardens etc) that we thought we would also mount on a pole somewhere (with a baffle on the bottom of course).

Anyone here put something out specific for Carolina Wrens?  Any luck?  Safest place (in our yards the safest would be under the eaves).  Only one side of the house makes actual sense as far as where to put the box, and we can't put it on the East side due to the carport (busy area) being there... it would be unsafe for the fledglings.  So.... any ideas??

I've never had them use nest boxes at my house. At our last house, they nested in an old cabinet, and then, my favorite, an empty Capri Sun box that was in our carport.

At our new house, there is a spot on top of a pillar under our deck they like, and they also like our gutter. Roof builders could take a note or two from our wrens. We had some torrential downpours, and they successfully fledged 4 or 5  babies both times!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, meghann said:

I've never had them use nest boxes at my house. At our last house, they nested in an old cabinet, and then, my favorite, an empty Capri Sun box that was in our carport.

At our new house, there is a spot on top of a pillar under our deck they like, and they also like our gutter. Roof builders could take a note or two from our wrens. We had some torrential downpours, and they successfully fledged 4 or 5  babies both times!

lol wow!  Well, knowing how they build their nests, the larger sticks they use, I opted for a slot box nest.  I'm trying to lure them to nest somewhere safer.  I'm thinking with the open style construction of the box I have that maybe it would appeal to them more.  I'm also going to use an old bluebird house too.  I've seen videos and photos of them nesting in those as well.  Still trying to figure out how to mount this on vinyl siding.  :huh:

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_8361.JPG