Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Melierax

Your birding equipment

Well, considering that thread hasn't been posted in, in almost a year, I think this is fine. 

I remember years ago there was a thread where people listed what books they have, and another where they listed what cameras they have, etc. Sometimes topics aren't brought up for a long while, and when someone does again, it's usually in a new thread, not digging up one that's been dead a long time. 

It's not like there's 5 threads on one page talking about the same thing. Also, I didn't think mine was worth taking a picture of, since it's two books and a pair of binoculars, basically.

Alright, here's our collection of birding equipment...minus the other bird books that we never read.  Yes, I drew a face on our audio recorder and gave it a name...

large.5a56cc0e76e58_birdinggear.jpg.cce9

• Like 3

@The Bird Nuts, I recognize that book with the green cover.  Do you get value from it?  I admit I didn't find the format particularly friendly or usable.  I think I put it in a 'Little Library' in case someone else could benefit from it.

'Camera rain cover'?  Is that a fancy way to say 'Zip-loc bag'?  :P

• Haha 1

Yeah it's alright if everyone just discusses what they got ;) . I just think it's nice if people share photos too so that's why I titled it so. 

25 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

@The Bird Nuts, I recognize that book with the green cover.  Do you get value from it?  I admit I didn't find the format particularly friendly or usable.  I think I put it in a 'Little Library' in case someone else could benefit from it.

'Camera rain cover'?  Is that a fancy way to say 'Zip-loc bag'?  :P

The book with the green cover was our first bird field guide (National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds).  We don't use it anymore - it's old, not very detailed, and, as you mentioned, it isn't very easy to use.

Haha, no, the camera rain cover is better than a Ziploc bag!  It attaches to the camera's hot shoe and allows you to take photos in the rain. I think this is it: Amazon.com.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Haha, no, the camera rain cover is better than a Ziploc bag!  It attaches to the camera's hot shoe and allows you to take photos in the rain. I think this is it: Amazon.com.

I need that :P

23 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't.  If it's raining heavily enough that I need to cover the camera, I'm calling it a day.  :D

Yup, same!

I have a cover, but it's for sand not rain! It only rains a few days out of the year here so there isn't much use for it if I'm not taking a trip to the coast. Up north, however, it snows all the time so I use it quite a bit. I also use it when canoeing or kayaking. 

• Like 1

It rains here several times a week (that's the tropics for you :P) so that would be useful, especially since Birds are very active after a thunderstorm.

• Like 1