Whatbird.com Community
Addlynniah

Hawk In Fluvanna county, VA

My school was heading to the Carysbrook gym, on the way there I saw a brown hawk with a bright yellow belly, it was chilling on a telephone wire, I even looked twice to make sure it was really there because I have never seen anything like it before.

It looked like the bird in the picture below, but it's body was more hawk like

Yellow-breasted-Bunting_NM (1).jpg

Edited by Addlynniah
Picture needed

I don't see a photo. I should say Welcome to the forum.  

Sorry but this doesn't sound like any hawk I know of.  An adult male Kestrel's belly could potentially look 'bright yellow' and they sit on wires but the rest of the brown description does not fit.

Why did you think it was a hawk (or falcon like a Kestrel)?

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum!!

about how big would you say it was?  Could odd lighting have made the belly look yellow?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, douginBC said:

Sorry but this doesn't sound like any hawk I know of.  An adult male Kestrel's belly could potentially look 'bright yellow' and they sit on wires but the rest of the brown description does not fit.

Why did you think it was a hawk (or falcon like a Kestrel)?

It had a hawk body shape

44 minutes ago, BigOly said:

I don't see a photo. I should say Welcome to the forum.  

I put a photo but read the information above before looking, and also I couldn't get a photo because I was riding on my school bus going to the gym (my school is private so they don't allow electronics on the ride)

22 minutes ago, MerMaeve said:

Welcome to the Forum!!

about how big would you say it was?  Could odd lighting have made the belly look yellow?

No, it was a clear sky, and the body looked like it was a hawk but not fully grown

5 minutes ago, Addlynniah said:

the body looked like it was a hawk but not fully grown

Most juvenile birds are the size of adults when they leave the nest.  If it was perched on a wire, it could fly.  If it could fly, it was the size of an adult.

What time of day did you see this bird?  How about a Mourning Dove?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Most juvenile birds are the size of adults when they leave the nest.  If it was perched on a wire, it could fly.  If it could fly, it was the size of an adult.

I don't really know the size it was in the distance and the bus was moving, and it was during the day.

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

No it didn't look like a mourning dove

By the way, photos are not required, but they are helpful.  Please do not post other photographers' photos, though, only links are allowed here.

Do you remember if it was more of a lemon yellow, or more reddish or orange? Some raptors can have orange-ish undersides, like Red-shouldered Hawks, adult Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, Northern Harrier juveniles and females, and American Kestrels.

If it was a really yellowy yellow, could it have been an Eastern Meadowlark? They have a black V mark on their breast that wraps around kind of like the reddish-brown collar on the bird in the picture you posted. They're often seen perched on telephone lines.

3 hours ago, Corvus caurinus said:

Do you remember if it was more of a lemon yellow, or more reddish or orange? Some raptors can have orange-ish undersides, like Red-shouldered Hawks, adult Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, Northern Harrier juveniles and females, and American Kestrels.

If it was a really yellowy yellow, could it have been an Eastern Meadowlark? They have a black V mark on their breast that wraps around kind of like the reddish-brown collar on the bird in the picture you posted. They're often seen perched on telephone lines.

None of those, it was a yellow color nothing else, blithe yellow is what drew me to see what it was