Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

    • Bigfoot

      Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

      'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

      Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

      Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Addlynniah

Hawk In Fluvanna county, VA

Recommended Posts

My school was heading to the Carysbrook gym, on the way there I saw a brown hawk with a bright yellow belly, it was chilling on a telephone wire, I even looked twice to make sure it was really there because I have never seen anything like it before.

 

It looked like the bird in the picture below, but it's body was more hawk like

Yellow-breasted-Bunting_NM (1).jpg

Edited by Addlynniah
Picture needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a photo. I should say Welcome to the forum.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but this doesn't sound like any hawk I know of.  An adult male Kestrel's belly could potentially look 'bright yellow' and they sit on wires but the rest of the brown description does not fit.

Why did you think it was a hawk (or falcon like a Kestrel)?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Forum!!

about how big would you say it was?  Could odd lighting have made the belly look yellow?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, douginBC said:

Sorry but this doesn't sound like any hawk I know of.  An adult male Kestrel's belly could potentially look 'bright yellow' and they sit on wires but the rest of the brown description does not fit.

Why did you think it was a hawk (or falcon like a Kestrel)?

It had a hawk body shape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BigOly said:

I don't see a photo. I should say Welcome to the forum.  

I put a photo but read the information above before looking, and also I couldn't get a photo because I was riding on my school bus going to the gym (my school is private so they don't allow electronics on the ride)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MerMaeve said:

Welcome to the Forum!!

about how big would you say it was?  Could odd lighting have made the belly look yellow?

No, it was a clear sky, and the body looked like it was a hawk but not fully grown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Addlynniah said:

the body looked like it was a hawk but not fully grown

Most juvenile birds are the size of adults when they leave the nest.  If it was perched on a wire, it could fly.  If it could fly, it was the size of an adult.

What time of day did you see this bird?  How about a Mourning Dove?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Most juvenile birds are the size of adults when they leave the nest.  If it was perched on a wire, it could fly.  If it could fly, it was the size of an adult.

What time of day did you see this bird?  How about a Mourning Dove?

I don't really know the size it was in the distance and the bus was moving, and it was during the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Most juvenile birds are the size of adults when they leave the nest.  If it was perched on a wire, it could fly.  If it could fly, it was the size of an adult.

What time of day did you see this bird?  How about a Mourning Dove?

No it didn't look like a mourning dove

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, photos are not required, but they are helpful.  Please do not post other photographers' photos, though, only links are allowed here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you remember if it was more of a lemon yellow, or more reddish or orange? Some raptors can have orange-ish undersides, like Red-shouldered Hawks, adult Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, Northern Harrier juveniles and females, and American Kestrels.

If it was a really yellowy yellow, could it have been an Eastern Meadowlark? They have a black V mark on their breast that wraps around kind of like the reddish-brown collar on the bird in the picture you posted. They're often seen perched on telephone lines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corvus caurinus said:

Do you remember if it was more of a lemon yellow, or more reddish or orange? Some raptors can have orange-ish undersides, like Red-shouldered Hawks, adult Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, Northern Harrier juveniles and females, and American Kestrels.

If it was a really yellowy yellow, could it have been an Eastern Meadowlark? They have a black V mark on their breast that wraps around kind of like the reddish-brown collar on the bird in the picture you posted. They're often seen perched on telephone lines.

 

None of those, it was a yellow color nothing else, blithe yellow is what drew me to see what it was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×