Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
CNW

Mystery bird at my feeder

Glanced out at my feeder at dusk and saw this guy, who I have never seen before....I realize these are Bigfoot-quality pics (3rd one is the best)....I snapped them through my window and then when I slowly opened my window to take a better picture it spooked it.  My best guess is a female purple finch, because it was doing the finch thing of sitting there eating seed after seed, but I'm 0% sure.  Can anyone give an opinion?

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

The eye stripe is too bold for a Purple Finch, and there isn't any streaking on the underparts.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Thanks 1

About 45 minutes west of Cleveland, OH.....I'm probably at the very edge of Dickcissel territory (although I've never seen one here), but my book says they shouldn't be in Ohio in the winter.  But I realize there are exceptions.

1 minute ago, meghann said:

I'll toss out White-throated Sparrow. Just because of the first picture.

At a feeder?  

• Thanks 1

Just now, CNW said:

About 45 minutes west of Cleveland, OH.....I'm probably at the very edge of Dickcissel territory (although I've never seen one here), but my book says they shouldn't be in Ohio in the winter.  But I realize there are exceptions.

I'd like another opinion to back mine up, but that's what it looks like to me.  They are fairly regular wintering birds outside of their "normal range". There was one at a feeder in CT earlier this winter and one that spent the whole winter last year at a local state park.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks Meghann....I didn't get a sparrow vibe off of it......I do have White-throated Sparrows here but they always seem to eat off the ground, not the feeder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

At a feeder?  

Yes, White-throated Sparrows will occasionally perch on feeders like this.

I think Brown-headed Cowbird is a good guess.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

To my eye, the face pattern is a bit strong for a cowbird, but I guess I could see it as one.

• Thanks 1

From a google images search, I'd have to agree with Akiley that the face and throat pattern doesn't match a cowbird.....I wish the first pic turned out better.  Ah well, I'll keep my eye out for it this week, hopefully it returns and I'll get a clear shot.  Thanks to all posters!

Hopefully the OP doesn't mind, but I took that third photo and boosted the snot out of the contrast.

mysterybird.JPG.a9369a6e12019a1e02d9a67c48c80439.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, meghann said:

Hopefully the OP doesn't mind, but I took that third photo and boosted the snot out of the contrast.

Less snot always helps. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it's ugly enough to be a cowbird. :blink:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Less snot always helps. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it's ugly enough to be a cowbird. :blink:

Ugly?  I'm sure Mamma Cowbird doesn't think so!

Oh, wait a minute ...

• Haha 1

Sorry I still see this as a female BH Cowbird as the best option here. Don't think I can make it into anything else.. the face is within the range of variation, the white throat is fine, the black bill is correct, overall body shape...  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With that edited photo, I would now agree that color and shape/structure look good for a cowbird, even though the face pattern is still bothering me a bit.  Sorry for jumping the gun on calling it a Dickcissel!

• Thanks 1

I think the color is way off in the photo, everything has a bluish tint to it. The patterns I'm seeing looks like a Rose-breasted Grosbeak to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rose-breasted Grosbeak would be just about as surprising as Dickcissel given the date. The lack of strong streaking on the body & wingbars doesn't fit a Grosbeak, either.

• Thanks 1

I agree that the timing is off for a RB Grosbeak, but I'm still seeing enough streaking and wingbars on it, given the quality of the photo, and the head pattern is strong. A BH Cowbird doesn't have the head pattern shown on this bird.

• Like 2

Thanks MerMaeve!  I promise not all my pics are this terrible....this was dusk through a slightly fogged window ;)  I'm almost on board with the cowbird...that stripe above the eye bothers me, but the only thing I can think of is a female Red-Wing Blackbird, but there's probably reasons it's not that.