Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
Sign in to follow this  
JimBob

California 2018 Whatbird Big Year/Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

I figured I'd make a thread so we can at least discuss happenings on here... I don't feel like making a google doc but if someone wants to, I'll contribute. 

 

Anyway, I got in to see the parula this Saturday! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, JB.  Glad you got to see it.  I heard it is starting to get less responsive, so it may only be a matter of time until it will no longer be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing blockbuster today.  Saw the Riv Co Painted Redstart and LA Rusty Blackbird.  Tried for gulls in LA Co.  Lesser Black-backed, Iceland and Glaucous-winged, but not the hoped for Slaty-backed or even the Glaucous Gull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want that Rusty Blackbird... just hate LA so much. Still have no idea why I didn't chase the Orange bird a few years ago. It's only a matter of time before SD gets one... right? right? Grrrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really rather shocking that SD hasn't had one any time recently.  Heck, I think there have been 3 in LA Co in the last month.  Even SBE Co had one in the fall, and we are often a rare bird wasteland compared to the likes of the coastal counties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, San Diego gets like no Rusty Blackbirds... we have one record on eBird, from 2009. I'm sure that's not our only record (too lazy to break out the atlas), but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only one in the past 10 years since if there was one since then people would've put it in. 

I'm hoping for a lot of pretty rare but not super unreasonable species in San Diego this year. Rusty Blackbird is one obviously, but also things like Worm-eating Warbler, Least Flycatcher (keep missing these in the county), etc. Oh, and Connecticut Warbler. I really want a Connecticut Warbler. I would even go to LA if one showed up there. And I passed on that Dusky Warbler just because it was in LA... that's how bad I want a Connecticut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'd really like to add a warbler or two for CA this year.  Not a whole lot remaining of the wood warblers that have been seen in CA before, but a few should be possible.  I think I am down to needing just:

1. Cape May Warbler

2. Golden-winged Warbler

3. Blue-winged Warbler

4. Red-faced Warbler

5. Connecticut Warbler

6. Cerulean Warbler

(7. Golden-cheeked Warbler) - yeah, like that'll happen again.

 

Got Louisiana Waterthrush and Tropical Parula in the last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JimBob said:

Gotta love Stan's reports...

Yup, classic.  At least with the La Jolla reports you expect it to be unchaseable birds, but really, a flyover Eastern Kingbird...in winter?  A wintering Eastern Kingbird is extremely rare anywhere in the county.  There are none in eBird for the western US.

I see you got a SD EAKI already.  I also saw that same one by Liberty Station, which was my state bird.  Was pretty cool to get Cassin's, Western, Tropical, and Eastern Kingbirds at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

Yup, classic.  At least with the La Jolla reports you expect it to be unchaseable birds, but really, a flyover Eastern Kingbird...in winter?  A wintering Eastern Kingbird is extremely rare anywhere in the county.  There are none in eBird for the western US.

I see you got a SD EAKI already.  I also saw that same one by Liberty Station, which was my state bird.  Was pretty cool to get Cassin's, Western, Tropical, and Eastern Kingbirds at the same time.

Yeah, that Liberty Station bird was great. Stuck around for so much longer than I was expecting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, what was the point of Stan's post today (just forwarding Guy's private response to him)?  Was he passing along Guy's message to be helpful, trying to show that Guy was perhaps being dismissive, or did he just forget to add a message?

Ginger, glad you got to see the Parula today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

 

Ginger, glad you got to see the Parula today!

thank you!  me too!!  i was expecting either....

them to stop taking people in before they got to me, or the bird to stop showing up.

so i am pleasantly surprised and thrilled :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2018 at 5:56 PM, guy_incognito said:

Yeah, I'd really like to add a warbler or two for CA this year.  Not a whole lot remaining of the wood warblers that have been seen in CA before, but a few should be possible.  I think I am down to needing just:

1. Cape May Warbler

2. Golden-winged Warbler

3. Blue-winged Warbler

4. Red-faced Warbler

5. Connecticut Warbler

6. Cerulean Warbler

(7. Golden-cheeked Warbler) - yeah, like that'll happen again.

 

Got Louisiana Waterthrush and Tropical Parula in the last year. 

look how quickly your wishes come true.  a Cape May is waiting for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

look how quickly your wishes come true.  a Cape May is waiting for you!

Too bad it wasn't waiting in the park today.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2018 at 7:59 PM, guy_incognito said:

So, what was the point of Stan's post today (just forwarding Guy's private response to him)?  Was he passing along Guy's message to be helpful, trying to show that Guy was perhaps being dismissive, or did he just forget to add a message?

Ginger, glad you got to see the Parula today!

Just now seeing this, but I thought that was hilarious. With Stan's continued "sightings," it was only a matter of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×