Whatbird Community Board
Sign in to follow this  
JimBob

California 2018 Whatbird Big Year/Discussion Thread

I figured I'd make a thread so we can at least discuss happenings on here... I don't feel like making a google doc but if someone wants to, I'll contribute. 

Anyway, I got in to see the parula this Saturday! 

Congrats, JB.  Glad you got to see it.  I heard it is starting to get less responsive, so it may only be a matter of time until it will no longer be possible.

Nothing blockbuster today.  Saw the Riv Co Painted Redstart and LA Rusty Blackbird.  Tried for gulls in LA Co.  Lesser Black-backed, Iceland and Glaucous-winged, but not the hoped for Slaty-backed or even the Glaucous Gull.

I really want that Rusty Blackbird... just hate LA so much. Still have no idea why I didn't chase the Orange bird a few years ago. It's only a matter of time before SD gets one... right? right? Grrrrrr

It's really rather shocking that SD hasn't had one any time recently.  Heck, I think there have been 3 in LA Co in the last month.  Even SBE Co had one in the fall, and we are often a rare bird wasteland compared to the likes of the coastal counties.

Honestly, San Diego gets like no Rusty Blackbirds... we have one record on eBird, from 2009. I'm sure that's not our only record (too lazy to break out the atlas), but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only one in the past 10 years since if there was one since then people would've put it in. 

I'm hoping for a lot of pretty rare but not super unreasonable species in San Diego this year. Rusty Blackbird is one obviously, but also things like Worm-eating Warbler, Least Flycatcher (keep missing these in the county), etc. Oh, and Connecticut Warbler. I really want a Connecticut Warbler. I would even go to LA if one showed up there. And I passed on that Dusky Warbler just because it was in LA... that's how bad I want a Connecticut.

Yeah, I'd really like to add a warbler or two for CA this year.  Not a whole lot remaining of the wood warblers that have been seen in CA before, but a few should be possible.  I think I am down to needing just:

1. Cape May Warbler

2. Golden-winged Warbler

3. Blue-winged Warbler

4. Red-faced Warbler

5. Connecticut Warbler

6. Cerulean Warbler

(7. Golden-cheeked Warbler) - yeah, like that'll happen again.

Got Louisiana Waterthrush and Tropical Parula in the last year. 

51 minutes ago, JimBob said:

Gotta love Stan's reports...

Yup, classic.  At least with the La Jolla reports you expect it to be unchaseable birds, but really, a flyover Eastern Kingbird...in winter?  A wintering Eastern Kingbird is extremely rare anywhere in the county.  There are none in eBird for the western US.

I see you got a SD EAKI already.  I also saw that same one by Liberty Station, which was my state bird.  Was pretty cool to get Cassin's, Western, Tropical, and Eastern Kingbirds at the same time.

12 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

Yup, classic.  At least with the La Jolla reports you expect it to be unchaseable birds, but really, a flyover Eastern Kingbird...in winter?  A wintering Eastern Kingbird is extremely rare anywhere in the county.  There are none in eBird for the western US.

I see you got a SD EAKI already.  I also saw that same one by Liberty Station, which was my state bird.  Was pretty cool to get Cassin's, Western, Tropical, and Eastern Kingbirds at the same time.

Yeah, that Liberty Station bird was great. Stuck around for so much longer than I was expecting. 

So, what was the point of Stan's post today (just forwarding Guy's private response to him)?  Was he passing along Guy's message to be helpful, trying to show that Guy was perhaps being dismissive, or did he just forget to add a message?

Ginger, glad you got to see the Parula today!

13 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

thank you!  me too!!  i was expecting either....

them to stop taking people in before they got to me, or the bird to stop showing up.

so i am pleasantly surprised and thrilled :D

On 1/28/2018 at 5:56 PM, guy_incognito said:

Yeah, I'd really like to add a warbler or two for CA this year.  Not a whole lot remaining of the wood warblers that have been seen in CA before, but a few should be possible.  I think I am down to needing just:

1. Cape May Warbler

2. Golden-winged Warbler

3. Blue-winged Warbler

4. Red-faced Warbler

5. Connecticut Warbler

6. Cerulean Warbler

(7. Golden-cheeked Warbler) - yeah, like that'll happen again.

Got Louisiana Waterthrush and Tropical Parula in the last year. 

look how quickly your wishes come true.  a Cape May is waiting for you!

10 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

look how quickly your wishes come true.  a Cape May is waiting for you!

Too bad it wasn't waiting in the park today.

• Sad 1

On 2/1/2018 at 7:59 PM, guy_incognito said:

So, what was the point of Stan's post today (just forwarding Guy's private response to him)?  Was he passing along Guy's message to be helpful, trying to show that Guy was perhaps being dismissive, or did he just forget to add a message?

Just now seeing this, but I thought that was hilarious. With Stan's continued "sightings," it was only a matter of time.