Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
nevsar

Black-bellied or American Golden Plover?

These two birds were seen together in Jamaica. I reported them as Black-bellied (American Golden is rare). However, after reviewing the photos, I'm not sure. I see some gold on its back and cap. But according to the books, Black-bellied can show gold color. Also I'm on the fence w.r.t. bill size, and distinct dark cap (leaning more towards Black-bellied). What are your thoughts?

large.DSC00995.jpg.569570d5472a7d0b2ae7b

large.DSC00992.jpg.4afc881fff1e346d32cc9

large.DSC01020.jpg.94b7c2d1e816de6adf23d

large.DSC00994.jpg.6decfa87a687c40544b9e

large.DSC00993.jpg.d30ab7ef01e3a15da54f9

Can see why you wonder with those golden flecks. But I think the bill is too big for a Golden, and that is one feature that does not vary.

That said,  best to wait for more people to weigh in on this one as it is a tough call.

Thin bill and no visible hind toe -- these look like American Goldens to me. The wings look long enough that I think we can rule out stray Pacific, and European Golden have hind toes just like Black-bellied.

One thing I know for sure is that I'm confused :) After seeing several Google images of Black-bellied plovers, I am beginning to agree with you on the thinner bill of my birds. On the hind toe, while I don't see it, I'm not 100% sure if I would be able to spot it if even these were actually black-bellied (By the way, in the 4th photo, does the bird on the right, have a tiny hind toe, or is it a portion of the front toe?)

Do others have thoughts on this bird? I would like to be extra sure before I change the species on my checklist to one that is rare.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but "I don't know" or "can't adjudicate" (and reporting it as a taxa or sp) is a reasonable take just from these photos.  I'd only report a rare bird if I were certain, and from my experience you'd need to hear the call difference or look for the absence of black underwing axillaries to be certain in my limited experience with Goldens.  Do you have either/both pieces of said info?  The one I identified also had a BBPL right next to it, so you could size the sizing/proportion differences.

I feel quite comfortable -- they look like Golden to me. I don't know the reviewers for Jamaica, but I would be very surprised if you posted these and they gave you any problems over them.