Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
DaveOl

Seed with hot pepper?

I have been thinking of trying some seed that is spicy to deter the squirrels from eating half of my feeder.  Is this type of seed safe for the birds and will it actually keep the squirrels away?

It's safe for the birds.  I've had mixed results with the squirrels.  A few don't seem to mind it, most dislike it to some degree.  In the long run, a pole and squirrel baffle are the most effective methods.

Thanks for the answer.  Unfortunately, both of my shepherds crooks are fairly short ( about 5 feet or less)  I don't know if that is tall enough to use a baffle.  Today I even saw a squirrel jump from the ground up to the bottom of one of my feeders.  I guess that I will look for a longer pole and a baffle when I get a chance.

Just for the heck of it I put olive oil on the bottom of one of my poles and that stopped them for a while.  It was fun to watch them sliding down.

Yeah, that'll work for a bit.  Sometimes just tossing some cheap hot sauce on the seed can help.  As a hot sauce aficionado, that's about all I think Texas Pete or Frank's are good for. ..

Have you ever thought about getting a Squirrel Buster feeder? I have 4 of them, 2 mini's, a peanut plus feeder, and the huge plus model that holds 5 pounds of feed. These are the best investments I've made since feeding birds. I buy black oil sunflower seeds for the mini's, and sunflower hearts for the big plus feeder, and shelled peanuts, and squirrels do not eat, unless they get whats on the ground. The mini's work well on the shepards hooks. Something to think about, along with the baffle set up. I'm going to do one of those soon for an open platform feeder. I really need one of those too.

finch

If you're close to a Lowes, they sell them there, and also Amazon and Ebay has them too. I started using them and never looked back since. I dont worry about squirrels anymore.

• Like 1

I've grown my own habaneros and grind them into powder for years. I put some in a batch of seeds a while back to see if it'd do any good.

It doesn't bother the birds, but it makes the squirrels picky where they eat. They've never touched a feeder since!

for what it worth - I had solved the squirrel problems with baffle and then one winter I noticed a white-tailed deer nosing up the feeder to so the BOSS spilled out then three of then would feast on whatever fell out - they could empty and eat at least 3 lbs a days.

So i took one shepards hook and attached it to the other but higher ...so it gave me a double with one hook 7 feet off the ground.  If you can weld this would be a snap - I cannot so used some liquid nails (glue) and wire lashing to hold the two together.  Had to remove the protruding "foot: from the one that is elevated - attached it to the lower one same way.  So far so good...deer have not touched it ( I did notice one trying  and this is in my backyard...10's of feet away from the woods .