Whatbird.com Community

Today, Jan. 21st, Phinizy Swamp Nature Center, Augusta, GA.  Methodically poking in the ground along the edge of freshwater swamp.

FKCOGAE.jpg

Nice photo, yes King Rail.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 2:59 PM, HamRHead said:

Wow, nice shot!

Thanks!  I quit trying to get fancy with my Panasonic Lumix FZ-70 a few weeks ago.  I reset it to factory defaults, set the shutter to its fastest setting (1/250), and left almost everything else on automatic (white balance, aperature, focus, ISO, etc).  I'm getting much better photos than when I try manually adjusting stuff.  At max zoom I have to take several shots of each subject to get one where I'm not moving the camera, but 'film' and 'processing' are cheap these days!  Fortunately, this guy was only about 15 feet away below a boardwalk.

On the other hand, if I could understand how to override the autofocus temporarily, those YBCH shots in my other question would have been much clearer.  I'd have focused on the bird instead letting the camera focus on the plants in the foreground.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks!  I quit trying to get fancy with my Panasonic Lumix FZ-70 a few weeks ago.  I reset it to factory defaults, set the shutter to its fastest setting (1/250), and left almost everything else on automatic (white balance, aperature, focus, ISO, etc).  I'm getting much better photos then when I try manually adjusting stuff.  At max zoom I have to take several shots of each subject to get one where I'm not moving the camera, but 'film' and 'processing' are cheap these days!  Fortunately, this guy was only about 15 feet away below a boardwalk.

On the other hand, if I could understand how to override the autofocus temporarily, those YBCH shots in my other question would have been much clearer.  I'd have focused on the bird instead letting the camera focus on the plants in the foreground.

I know the frustration of autofocus in those situations. Regardless, you definitely had a good day at Phinizy. And the Chat shots are good enough for ID. I keep hoping to see the Virginia Rail/s that have been reported. I thought I may have heard a call once but wasn't confident enough to mark it down. So...gotta keep birding!

• Like 1

My Canons I can over ride the autofocus by holding the shutterbutton half way down and turn the focus ring.  Newer Canon requires choosing the option of override.  As soon as release sutterbutton, will revert to autofocus.  I use one focal point and use this all the time.

Don't know anything about Panosonics.  Good Luck.  Wonderful shot of Rail.  Still looking for one.

• Like 1

@alta, I suspect your Canons are DSLR?  My Lumix  'bridge' doesn't have a focus ring.  It does have a manual focus capability but when I try what the manual says, I wind up getting the white balance adjustment instead.  I'm probably misinterpreting the instruction and pushing the wrong button.  I'll take another look at manually focusing it eventually, but I'm so pleased with its performance this weekend that I'm going to leave well enough alone for a couple of months.

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Thanks!  I quit trying to get fancy with my Panasonic Lumix FZ-70 a few weeks ago.  I reset it to factory defaults, set the shutter to its fastest setting (1/250), and left almost everything else on automatic (white balance, aperature, focus, ISO, etc).  I'm getting much better photos than when I try manually adjusting stuff.  At max zoom I have to take several shots of each subject to get one where I'm not moving the camera, but 'film' and 'processing' are cheap these days!  Fortunately, this guy was only about 15 feet away below a boardwalk.

Ohh, I see now, you have a P&S like me.  Will you forgive me for the things I said? Please? *puppy eyes* :P