Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sean C.

Pathetic Birds missing on your Yearlist

One was done last year, so here's the 2018 one ;)

mine are:

Great Blue Heron

American Coot

Any Duck (:wacko:)

Cooper's Hawk

Savannah Sparrow

Laughing Gull

Any Tern

Least Sandpiper

5 hours ago, Sean C. said:

One was done last year, so here's the 2018 one ;)

mine are:

Great Blue Heron

American Coot

Any Duck (:wacko:)

Cooper's Hawk

Savannah Sparrow

Laughing Gull

Any Tern

Least Sandpiper

Where is Song Sparrow on your list, Sean?? :lol::lol:

• Haha 1

Mine:

American Robin

Red-Winged BB

Turkey Vulture

Carolina Wren

Ceder Waxwing

Gull- ALL!

Ducks-ALL!!

• Like 1

Maybe I don't get the concept of a year list.  How can you have birds missing from it when the year has just started?  :blink:  Or are these birds you missed in '17?

51 minutes ago, MerMaeve said:

Mine:

American Robin

Red-Winged BB

Turkey Vulture

Carolina Wren

Ceder Waxwing

Gull- ALL!

Ducks-ALL!!

I have 3 of those plus a Gull :P

1 hour ago, MerMaeve said:

Where is Song Sparrow on your list, Sean?? :lol::lol:

they're uncommon here. the closest spot with them is in the next county <_<

34 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Maybe I don't get the concept of a year list.  How can you have birds missing from it when the year has just started?  :blink:  Or are these birds you missed in '17?

It's Birds that you should have already for 2018 but don't (like the fact that I don't have a Duck yet for 2018 :wacko:)

According to eBird Target Species

• Carolina Wren
  • Cooper's Hawk
  • Purple Finch
  • Green-winged Teal
  • Peregrine Falcon (just haven't bothered to go downtown to see them)
  • Cedar Waxwing
  • Ring-billed Gull

My most ridiculous? European Starling.

Also missing that I should have gotten by now: Savannah Sparrow, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Brown Creeper, Red-headed Woodpecker, and Osprey.

Some early misses include Brown-headed Cowbird, Brown Creeper, Pileated Woodpecker, Fox Sparrow, Loggerhead Shrike, and Sharp-shinned Hawk.  

• Confused 1

I guess y'all are having fun, but this sounds like WAY too much like work.  :D  I don't think the phrase 'should have seen' will ever be an active part of my birding vocabulary, especially modified with 'by now'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I guess y'all are having fun, but this sounds WAY too much like work.  :D  I don't think the phrase 'should have seen' will ever be an active part of my birding vocabulary, especially modified with 'by now'.

Well, after years of not being able to bird seriously, I'm back at it. I decided I wanted to be purposeful with it this year, and keep track and everything. I think the fact that I haven't seen STARLINGS yet is attesting to my bad luck charm status, though.

There's a dude in Georgia that tried to hit 200 species for January. He's almost made it, he's at 197.

12 hours ago, Sean C. said:

@meghann How???? :blink: I saw 23 Starlings the other day :P

I rarely see Starlings. The last sighting was 3 birds in October. I might be filtering them out...have to check the algorithms on my SBF (Sorry Bird Filter).

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, meghann said:

Well, after years of not being able to bird seriously, I'm back at it. I decided I wanted to be purposeful with it this year, and keep track and everything. I think the fact that I haven't seen STARLINGS yet is attesting to my bad luck charm status, though.

There's a dude in Georgia that tried to hit 200 species for January. He's almost made it, he's at 197.

I'll take it seriously as far as tracking.  Goal setting may (or may not) be something I consider after I retire in a half-dozen years or so, but right now it would detract from the relaxed enjoyment birding brings me.  I suspect any future goals may be regarding locations, not arbitrary numbers or specific species.

One of the aspects of birding is that there are so many different approaches to it.  :)

21 hours ago, meghann said:

I think the fact that I haven't seen STARLINGS yet is attesting to my bad luck charm status, though.

I think the fact that you haven't seen Starlings yet is attesting to your GOOD LUCK charm status! I wish I were so lucky!! Those birds are a nuisance! Very pretty, but definitely a nuisance!

[As an aside, I have just decided that a flock of Starlings should not be called a murmuration, it should be called a nuisance!!! :P]

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sean C. said:

Who here doesn't have RWBL on their yearlist yet? :wacko:

Not me, did you see the video I posted? :lol:

2 hours ago, Sean C. said:

I was going off my eBird target species for the year.

22 hours ago, Sean C. said:

Who else here doesn't keep a year list at all?  :D

On 2/2/2018 at 10:20 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

Who else here doesn't keep a year list at all?  :D

:blink::blink::blink::blink::P

I FINALLY got RWBL :rolleyes: (Yearlist at 45)

35 minutes ago, MerMaeve said:

:o:o:o:o:o:o

Well, I'm trying to be serious with it this year. I'm currently in the top 100 for my state, and the goal is to stay there for the whole year. We'll see. 

Still no starlings, though. Sigh.

17 minutes ago, meghann said:

Well, I'm trying to be serious with it this year. I'm currently in the top 100 for my state, and the goal is to stay there for the whole year. We'll see. 

Still no starlings, though. Sigh.

It looks like I'm at 81 for the year...not counting this Starling that I saw yesterday.:blink: I could have so easily not seen it but once I saw it, it was too late to un-see it. In case you want to try not to see it, there were three on a wire on Magruder Road near Turkey Pond.

Starling%202-5-18-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1