Whatbird.com Community
skoenlaper

Which flycatcher??

I took these photos of a flycatcher in Tubac, AZ on the De Anza trail near Santa Gerturdis lane  https://www.nps.gov/tuma/planyourvisit/anza-trail-tumacacori-to-tubac.htm

I have been told that it could not be the bird that I suspect it to be because it wouldn't be here at this time. :D Please can you help me with the identification of this one? Thank you. The photos are not great but they are definitely good for ID'ing :D 

P1930063.JPG

P1930064.JPG

P1930065.JPG

It is a Pacific-slope or Cordilleran.

I'm personally not too familiar with the status and distribution of each, but per eBird, there are plenty of winter records for Pacific-slope and no winter records for Cordilleran in SEAZ.

PS -Welcome to WhatBird

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, guy_incognito said:

It is a Pacific-slope or Cordilleran.

Agree. Looks like an exceptionally yellow one but all else looks dead on for one.

• Like 1

Other possibilities would be Yellowish Flycatcher and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. Yellowish would have distinctly buffy wingbars and a greener head (and would be awfully impressive, given the location). Yellow-bellied would have a wider dark area between the lower wingbar and the pale edging on the secondaries.

As far as the two expected species, without hearing them it's impossible to say for sure, but at Tubac you're much more likely to get Pacific-slope. Cordillerans migrate through the mountains rather than the lowlands.

• Like 1

Thank you very much to everyone who responded. I appreciate it. I thought it was a Pacific-slope flycatcher but was told it couldn't be. Thank you for confirming my thoughts and for giving me other options to look at also. 

Thank you also for welcoming me to whatbird. I'm a fairly new birder and I hope to learn a lot from this group, and hopefully sometime I'll even be able to help others. 

Pacific-slope flycatcher. Psweet has a lot more experience. I watch and read what they label birds. I do research also.

Hi and welcom to Whatbird.

• Like 1