Whatbird.com Community
Usha

Please ID this sparrow from today

IMG_2184

taken today in maricopa county, Arizona. Thanq very much.

Since you said please and they’re where no replies I ran it through Merlin Bird ID’s very reliable Photo ID for you, according to it it is most likely a Brewers sparrow. Hope this helps

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colorado Owl said:

I would actually call this a Chipping Sparrow. 

I'm not seeing dark lores that I would expect on a Chipping.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nicolas Forestell said:

I personally find it too small for one

Could you elaborate on how you determined size from this photo?  Size is difficult enough to judge with the bird right in front of you, let alone from a photo. 

14 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Could you elaborate on how you determined size from this photo?  Size is difficult enough to judge with the bird right in front of you, let alone from a photo. 

I think it’s actually also shape that I meant, while Rufous-crowned Sparrows have a Towhee like shape (and large size) this sparrow has more the shape of birds like a White-crowned, Chipping, Song, etc.

not an expert at all but

I think i can see an eye ring and with that crown ( not striped as a Brewers may be - brown crown with black stripes) i would say rufous crowned as well. Seems a bit puffed out - possibly misleading as to shape

This bird looks like a Brewer's. The lores look pale, which rules out Chipping as noted. The crown doesn't seem to show any rufous, but more importantly, the supercilium is paler than the face, and the malar doesn't look white enough for a Rufous-crowned. Also, Rufous-crowned has dark lores that contrast with a white supraloral and the malar.

• Like 1

I stand corrected....the Brewers sparrow also has an eye ring. Beak while mostly hidden seems ligher than might be expected on rufous crowned and back and wings are good match for Brewers...

I agree with Brewers

It seems with the crown it would be the rufus and the small white ring around the eyes. The coloring of the breast is more grayish.

The map of the Rufus was in the same areas.

However, the markings of the upper wing are darker and more striking as a Brewers.

I come to the decision on the Brewers.

However, I could stand to be corrected.

Thanq all for your help. Sorry, I am out of likes today.

Brewer's common sparrow in that location. Crown looked very rufousy to me but it is possible morning light played tricks on my eyes.

Hmm. Face pattern looks pretty strong, eyebrow too warm colored and crown too "rufousy" for a Brewer's, and that gray nape doesn't fit Brewer's either.

Looks more like a Chipping Sparrow to me, maybe with the lore in front of the eye washed out by the lighting. 

I can't see the lores being washed out while the eye-stripe shows that strong. It also looks as if the nape has streaking.