Whatbird.com Community

Did a double check this was actually taken at  the Merced National Wildlife Refuge.  Visited a few refuges as I was traveling through.

My great-grandmother was the knowledgeable one on birds.  I learned some of the basics from her.   For me this has been a wonderful learning experience.  Just trying to get a good photo is a challenge, but also identifying them.   Many birds can have similar markings so a just plain google search of images  is frustrating.  So finding this wonderful resource has been great. 

• Like 2

Do you have a field guide?  Sibley's is very good and I definitely recommend his guides.  When you use a good field guide along with this forum you can learn so much very quickly.  Many of the birds in Google images are misidentified, but a search could point someone in the right direction.

• Like 3

I do.  And you are so right about the google images.  Very frustrating.  Sometimes key words can really foul it up.  Look for a horse and you end up with photos of a train.   Will have a look for the Sibley's guide.  It's funny, I started out just taking a few photos of birds and now it has become a hunt for the best picture I can take.  It takes extreme patience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Didn't I say that already?

Whoops! Didn't see your post. I have changed it now.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hbvol said:

So sorry, never seen a cinnamon!

Neither have I but I knew what it was.

• Like 1