Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
guy_incognito

New yard birds from inside

What new or rare yard birds have you found while inside? 

Perhaps you heard it while inside and either recognized it, or heard it and knew it was different so you went outside and found it.

I guess we can include birds you also saw through a window (but would be more interesting if you weren't specifically watching birds).

Last May I casually walked by our porch window. Seeing Birds outside on a tree, I took a distant blurry photo before they flew away. I later looked at it and discovered that one of them was a Bronzed Cowbird! ;)

• Like 1

Got my lifer Pileated Woodpecker out the kitchen window probably about ten years ago.  Just happened to see it while walking past.  I remember yelling for my parents to come see it, I was so excited. 

• Like 1

My family moved to our new property less than a year ago so I've spent a lot of time checking out windows and scanning to find new yardbirds. However, I'm pretty sure I got my yardbirds Red-breasted Nuthatch and Pacific-slope Flycatcher after hearing them inside. Actually, a funny one was when we had our neighbours over, and they were about to leave when I noticed a bird perched in a tree in the backyard. Fortunately, they were the people who actually got me into birding, so they weren't confused when I excused myself to grab my binoculars, and it ended up being my yardbird Black-headed Grosbeak. 

Two of my favourite yardbirds: I was walking down the upstairs hallway and decided to give the golf course in the front a quick scan and a male Yellow-headed Blackbird was sitting there. The aforementioned neighbours had one at their feeders many years ago, but I had never seen them in the neighbourhood. That same week I was getting dressed for school and looked out the window and got a Red-throated Loon!

Not sure if this counts, but in my old yard (same neighbourhood), I heard a bird hit our front window and it turned out to be my lifer (and rarity) Harris's Sparrow. After watching it for a bit it perked up and we released it, and then it returned a few times in the following weeks. 

• Like 2

With either feeders or bath visible from most windows and the garage / 'man cave', if I'm looking out, I'm looking at birds.  :D  I've seen too many lifers that way to remember most of them.

A lifer Sharp-Shinned Hawk was the result of casually glancing out the kitchen window when I was home from work on a sick day.  He'd set up shop atop one of my feeder poles, and hung out in the back yard for most of an hour.

Once when we had the doors open, I swore I heard a Northern Bobwhite.  I live in a suburban development, although there are some mixed woods within 100 yards.  Sure enough, he was perched on the fence.  He wasn't visible from an open door, but he did sit still long enough for me to get some grainy photos through a dirty, screened window.

• Like 1

In the last year I added 6 new yard birds, and five of those were because I heard them from inside the house.  Barn Owl and Western Screech-Owl are not too surprising. 

My two best yard birds ever came a month apart last June and July.  First, I heard a vireo singing so went out to investigate and eventually found my yard and county first Red-eyed Vireo.  It was also a county bird for many others that made it in the two hours it stuck around.  Then, a month later, I heard a vireo singing again.  At first I assumed it might be the Red-eyed Vireo that had gone missing, but when reviewing my photos I learned it was a Yellow-green Vireo!  Just the second county record, and the earliest record ever in CA (they are almost always in the fall).  Sadly, that bird disappeared quickly and no one else saw it.

Between those two sightings, I also heard and then saw an Ash-throated Flycatcher.  I have certainly learned to keep my window open whenever possible!

This fall I heard a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, but it was actually the second time I've had one in the yard.

While eating breakfast I've looked out and seen my only yard records of Oak Titmouse and White-throated Sparrow.

• Like 1

I've seen a Ovenbird in our backyard tho i don't know if it was a yard bird or not.  I was calling my brothers in for lunch, open the sliding door and then saw what i thought was a thrush, so i closed the door and called my dad to come see what the heck it was, and he said that is an Ovenbird.  LIFER!!

• Like 2

After being out and about for around 5 hours, I came back home to relax for a bit.  As I sat on my couch I looked out my window to see this good size mostly red bird on my deck.  It landed on a small branch and then took a quick dip in the bird bath.  It was a less than 2 minute encounter, but by far remains my best yard bird.  County first Summer Tanager.  Not a bad bird for Michigan.  Took me a bit to realize it wasn’t a Scarlet Tanager.  Just a random, well timed look out the window .

15269023863_b1010a4cb0_c.jpg_MG_3252.jpg by chipperatl2, on Flickr

• Like 6

17 hours ago, chipperatl said:

After being out and about for around 5 hours, I came back home to relax for a bit.  As I sat on my couch I looked out my window to see this good size mostly red bird on my deck.  It landed on a small branch and then took a quick dip in the bird bath.  It was a less than 2 minute encounter, but by far remains my best yard bird.  County first Summer Tanager.  Not a bad bird for Michigan.  Took me a bit to realize it wasn’t a Scarlet Tanager.  Just a random, well timed look out the window .

15269023863_b1010a4cb0_c.jpg_MG_3252.jpg by chipperatl2, on Flickr

I hope not recently?