Whatbird.com Community
jcarscadden

feeder for nyger (thistle) seed

I am not sure if this has been discussed before..but if it has i cannot find it..and if it has my apologies for bringing it up again

My concern is the proper type of feeder for finch - mainly goldfinch...and nyger seed. I have been using a sock type ( no problem with squirrels gettng to it (fingers crossed) and it has been several years - i can sew up the few small holes i get and have not lost seed because of that...they are wildly popular with the goldfinch but i worrry about the seed in inclement weather.  if it gets wet.   But looking art the tubular kind  I keep reading that he sun will cause condensation i.e. moisture to form on the inside of the tube it causing a problem

any suggestions

I've tried both types, and I've settled on the socks. More birds can feed on a sock that on a tubular feeder with a limited number of holes. It's true that they will get wet in rain, and if they sit too long wet the thistle seeds will clump and mold. I've found, however, that the Goldfinches will continue feeding on them even when the seeds are wet. I let them feed, and if the seeds are not eaten within a couple of days I empty the socks and refill with fresh dry seed. During the Winter, which is the rainy season here, there are so many American Goldfinches here that it usually isn't a problem...they empty them almost daily!! When I do have to empty them I just dump the seed onto the platform feeder I have out there, so very few are wasted.

thank you so much - that has been my experience as well....i have seen up to a dozen goldfinch on white cotton sock is not much longer than 12 inches.  i also have a black nylon sock that is longer and this year they are feeding from it.  not so much last year so i took it down. When it rains hard ( i have a cover over the cotton sock i will empty them and spread the seed out to dry ..so i dont waste much either..  I do like the idea that the birds can feed anywhere there is seed...not just ports.  I think i will stick with the socks...

Thanks again

I wouldn't bother sewing up holes.  Socks are cheap and new ones come already filled.  I usually just pick up a new one every fall.

WBU offers a rain shield.  It has a hook on top to hang on the pole, an 8" disk with a slight slope in the middle, and another hook on the bottom for your sock.  I think it's about $15.

I do get a new one - the white cotton  one every spring but it is not to hard to sew holes shut

thank you about the rain shield - I have been using either the plastic lid that comes with a take out dinner (Daves) - it is at least 12 inches in diameter and I used and old hook - works pretty well .  I just added another to the other sock - black nylon I got from WBU.   not quite as big and used an S hook which doesnt work as well as the other =- blows around in the wind

i will look into the WBU shield

The answer, my friend,

To blowing in the wind,

The answer ... is to drop a couple of small rocks or marbles in the bottom the next time you refill it.  ;)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Ray Hairweave said:

Are the House Sparrows able to feed from the sock?

I've never seen a House Sparrow on a sock, and I have plenty of them around here!! They will feed on the ground, on the platform feeder, on the cup&saucer feeder, on the suet, and on the ground. The only birds I have feeding from the socks are American and Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches.

•  
  •  

I am ljucky that I do not have house sparrows  - plenty of house finch  - but no house sparrows at any of my feeders and the house finch seem to prefer the BOSS i have in other feeder 

From Charlie Spencer  - The answer ... is to drop a couple of small rocks or marbles in the bottom the next time you refill it

dont have as much a problem with the sock swinging - goldfinch do not seem to mind this anyway - it is the DIY rainshield I made that blows about. - but a post a while back about a woman who made a squirrel baffle/rain shield from a clear heavy weighty plastic punch bowl she got from the Dollar store....I am going to try that next...total cost no more than $5 (fingers crossed)  - mostly for the hardware to hang it with 

but thanks for the idea...i may try that as well

rain shield completed - total cost = $1.06.  using a thin plastic bowl from the Dollar store and odds and ends i had already

• Like 2