Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.

Would appreciate help identifying these birds. I am located in Centreville, Al. These birds have been prevalent at my house this winter eating from my feeders. These photos were taken today, Feb 13. 

14D2F80E-5BCB-43DD-9D67-55AB97C8DC77.jpeg

C9CBC5E0-1FEF-4E63-B156-6EF52FEC9B46.jpeg

988F1A61-34E3-4918-BA32-16E7D0475E26.jpeg

Welcome to Whatbird!!

I agree, Pine Siskins. I also know where Centreville, Ala. is. I was born near Mentone, Ala., up on Lookout Mtn. above Fort Payne!!

• Like 1

Pine Siskins are very cool birds, I loved watching them interact with each other when I had my feeders up. There were times where I could even stand outside near the feeders and they'd still come, almost completely ignoring me! Plus you may not get them in your yard every year, many of our finches are pretty nomadic from year to year.

They are fun to watch! I have a large number of them feeding at my five feeders. 30 or more at a time. They knock each other off the feeder when it gets full! I got them a thistle sock this morning that they all seem to like too. I will miss them next year if they aren’t back!

Welcome to WhatBird! Your Pine Siskins. They have streaky brown down it’s underbelly. Some have a yellow coloring on side of wing and very sharp pointy beaks. The pine Siskins at your feeder are there because the pines and forests have declined. They are becomind endangered. Your bird feeder are sorely needed. You also have redpolls and house finches.

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Redpolls are rare in Alabama.

Agreed. eBird only shows three separate records for the state ever.  

Thanks for the info @bird rescue! They definitely have an all you can eat buffet here of five feeders being filled daily which they are taking advantage of! Hate to hear they are endangered. I will keep my eyes peeled to see if I have any Redpolls!

The BirdNuts, Hi, I always value your inputs and expertise on identifying many birds. 

I found my information on Outdoor Alabama. In Alabama the pine Siskins we’re down 75%. I know they are approximately 10,000. I shouldn’t have made that as a stretch. I totally apologize and correct my statement on the Pine Siskins.

On the the Common Redpolls they stated in there article Habitat- found early successional stages, especially at Willow & Alder. Sighting are mostly at feeders.

Again I value your input so can help me taking in questionable information.

Thanks.

Common Redpolls, while your info is pretty good about their habitat, are also Arctic nesters and simply don't come far enough south to see them in Alabama. They're rare winter visitors in southern Illinois, even.

I wouldn't be surprised if northern Alabama had some mountains high enough for a nesting population of Pine Siskins, and that might well be seriously declining. But they are quite widespread in Canada and Alaska, as well as throughout the Rocky Mountains.

• Like 2