Whatbird.com Community
Chuck Hardin

ID. taken in Arenal Costa Ricia area two weeks ago.

You put me on the right track, looking under Thrushes. I have found on You-tube a Salty-backed Nightingale Thrush, I think this is the bird I captured.  Thanks for giving me a starting point psweet.

I don't think this is a Slaty-backed Nightingale Thrush. That was one of my initial guesses, but there's too much contrast between the back and the undersides, the eye-ring, bill, and legs are distinctly yellow, and there's that white crescent directly below the throat. The eye is also dark -- Slaty-backed has a pale iris. Black-headed Nightingale Thrush has a dark eye, but the black generally doesn't extend much below the eye, and it shouldn't have that white. But it's also awfully dark for White-throated...

@Aveschapines, care to chime in?

I don't know, it looks more like the Salty-backed Nightingale than anything else because of it coloring. And the bright yellow around the eyes, yellow beak and legs. May be it is the Black-headed Nightingale Thrush?

Chuck

Okay, between iNat and Howell & Webb's Birds of Mexico, it appears that White-throated Thrushes in SE Mexico and central America are frequently dark gray and black rather than the brown tones I'm used to seeing in photos, with bright yellow soft parts. (Eye-ring, bill, legs.) The white on the throat fits that nicely as well. That's definitely my guess for this bird.

Tough one. Can you get him to turn his head towards us so we can see his throat?

I don't have experience with the Slaty-backed Nightingale-Thrush. But my field guide says it should have a light eye, which this one definitely doesn't. It really doesn't look at all like a White-Throated Thrush to me, seems way too pale on the underside, and the feet and bill too bright orange, and no white collar. Black-Headed N-Thrush seems to fit a bit better, but still very pale underneath (not the grayish-brown I'd expect), and no contrast between face and crown.  But these aren't birds I see often so I am hesitant to make the call. 

7 minutes ago, psweet said:

Okay, between iNat and Howell & Webb's Birds of Mexico, it appears that White-throated Thrushes in SE Mexico and central America are frequently dark gray and black rather than the brown tones I'm used to seeing in photos, with bright yellow soft parts. (Eye-ring, bill, legs.) The white on the throat fits that nicely as well. That's definitely my guess for this bird.

It's that strong contrast between blue-black and grayish/almost white that seems wrong for me. But again I think I've only seen a White-Throated Thrush once.

• Thanks 1

I've had to work hard to find a couple of shots that come close -- and both, I believe, were from Costa Rica. I'm still not sure about this one. I wonder if Sooty Thrush and White-throated occasionally hybridize?

You know, looking at the photo again, I am seeing a white collar, not as bold as I'm used to (I'd have called it White-Collared Thrush) so maybe you are right. Cornell says that the white collar is diagnostic in range. Could the lighting be making the blue and orange look more intense than it really was??

2 minutes ago, psweet said:

Yes, that's closer to what most of the field guides show, as well.

And important to remember I've never been to, much less birded in, Costa Rica.

And important to remember I've never been to, much less birded in, Costa Rica.

I'll try to keep that in mind. Still, you're a lot closer to it than most of us! White-throated Thrush has a few records for S. Texas, for those American birders lucky enough to be there at the right time. But that's the form from NE Mexico, dark bill, brown color, etc.

I do suspect that some of the color in the shot comes from upping the contrast and perhaps the saturation, but that's just intuition speaking.

20 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:
15 minutes ago, psweet said:

I've had to work hard to find a couple of shots that come close -- and both, I believe, were from Costa Rica. I'm still not sure about this one. I wonder if Sooty Thrush and White-throated occasionally hybridize?

Tough one. Can you get him to turn his head towards us so we can see his throat?

I don't have experience with the Slaty-backed Nightingale-Thrush. But my field guide says it should have a light eye, which this one definitely doesn't. It really doesn't look at all like a White-Throated Thrush to me, seems way too pale on the underside, and the feet and bill too bright orange, and no white collar. Black-Headed N-Thrush seems to fit a bit better, but still very pale underneath (not the grayish-brown I'd expect), and no contrast between face and crown.  But these aren't birds I see often so I am hesitant to make the call. 

Thanks, psweet thanks it is a White-throated Thrush, but when I have looked at those birds, they do not have the yellow beak or legs. So I am still not sure what I have.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Hardin said:

Thanks, psweet thanks it is a White-throated Thrush, but when I have looked at those birds, they do not have the yellow beak or legs. So I am still not sure what I have.

They should have yellow beak and legs; the bright orange didn't seem right to me.

• Thanks 1

I'm also wondering if it could be a juvenile; descriptions suggest lighter underparts and more contrast. 

That last photo looks closer to yours, less like what I've seen.

• Thanks 1

Again, I've had very little direct experience with this bird, but the white collar is very evident in this photo, and the legs and bill seem yellow instead of bright orange.

I think some of the color you're seeing (or maybe that I'm seeing?) is an issue of monitors -- I'm seeing more yellow than orange on the bare parts in the original photo.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, psweet said:

I think some of the color you're seeing (or maybe that I'm seeing?) is an issue of monitors -- I'm seeing more yellow than orange on the bare parts in the original photo.

Interesting. I see bright orange, like an Orange-Billed Nightingale-Thrush.