Whatbird.com Community
tn_writer01

Is this even a bird?!

Not expecting any miracle species ID here. Just curious what the heck you think this could be. I thought I was tracking a vulture until I zoomed in and only got two frames off before I lost it. Seen this morning in rainy Middle TN over a pond. A flying squirrel? A UFO? What is it?! :P

DSC_5312_cropDSC_5313_crop

It was big enough I could see it from a distance and it was flying very level, not erratic like a leaf would in a gust of wind, but anything is possible. But that tail... A parrot would make me sad. I'll keep a lookout for it!

7 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Was it flapping? Balloon, maybe?

Not sure about the flapping. Maybe one of those balloon animals? But would it fly so smooth/level...

tn_writer welcome I’m new as well. I would like to ask what made you think it might be a vulture? Was it large and/or dark? Have you seen vultures in the area before? 

• Like 1

A Turkey Vulture in the rain probably would be flapping -- very little in the way of thermals to work off of. Balloons actually ride the wind very smoothly -- once you get above the local treeline, winds become much more consistent. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what this is.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bird rescue said:

tn_writer welcome I’m new as well. I would like to ask what made you think it might be a vulture? Was it large and/or dark? Have you seen vultures in the area before? 

It was just a black speck to the naked eye, so I assumed it was a black vulture off in the distance (there were many in the vicinity). Didn't realize how weird it was until I zoomed in on the frame on my camera a couple minutes later...and by then it was gone.

I've seen a hawk with a snake before, so I'm going with that or a balloon animal that escaped on a joyride! Thanks for playing, everyone!