Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
tn_writer01

Is this even a bird?!

Not expecting any miracle species ID here. Just curious what the heck you think this could be. I thought I was tracking a vulture until I zoomed in and only got two frames off before I lost it. Seen this morning in rainy Middle TN over a pond. A flying squirrel? A UFO? What is it?! :P

DSC_5312_cropDSC_5313_crop

It was big enough I could see it from a distance and it was flying very level, not erratic like a leaf would in a gust of wind, but anything is possible. But that tail... A parrot would make me sad. I'll keep a lookout for it!

7 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Was it flapping? Balloon, maybe?

Not sure about the flapping. Maybe one of those balloon animals? But would it fly so smooth/level...

tn_writer welcome I’m new as well. I would like to ask what made you think it might be a vulture? Was it large and/or dark? Have you seen vultures in the area before? 

• Like 1

A Turkey Vulture in the rain probably would be flapping -- very little in the way of thermals to work off of. Balloons actually ride the wind very smoothly -- once you get above the local treeline, winds become much more consistent. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what this is.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bird rescue said:

tn_writer welcome I’m new as well. I would like to ask what made you think it might be a vulture? Was it large and/or dark? Have you seen vultures in the area before? 

It was just a black speck to the naked eye, so I assumed it was a black vulture off in the distance (there were many in the vicinity). Didn't realize how weird it was until I zoomed in on the frame on my camera a couple minutes later...and by then it was gone.

I've seen a hawk with a snake before, so I'm going with that or a balloon animal that escaped on a joyride! Thanks for playing, everyone!