Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

    • Bigfoot

      Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

      'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
conand19

Need help cleaning a nyger feeder

Recommended Posts

I have had a plastic tube nyger feeder for about three weeks, bought at Wild Birds Unlimited.  I have had gold finches all over it.   I just took it apart, soaked it in bleach water for a few minutes and scrubbed it with a brush.  When I went to dry it, I found a film on the outside.  So I soaked it in soapy water (using dish soap) in my sink for about 10 minutes and scrubbed it again.  It still had a film on the outside down the plastic where the birds sit and eat.  I had to take a rough cloth and scrub a lot to get it fairly clean.  Any suggestions as to what this is and how to clean it off.  This cleaning was harder than I want to do every few weeks.  I didn't think I was supposed to use a heavy duty cleaning soap such as Greased Lightening on a bird feeder, so what else can I use.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Whatbird!

That sounds really frustrating. What concentration of bleach water were you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleach is a great disinfectant but it's a lousy cleaner.  In particular, it's not a grease solvent, so increasing the concentration isn't going to make a difference.

Try Dawn.  It's what the wildlife recovery teams use to clean animals who are caught in oil spills.

It's possible the film was a leftover from the manufacturing process, requiring a one-time cleaning, and that it may not be a problem now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, I know it was clean before I put it out, because I rinsed it all out.  Spotless.  Whatever it was on it was from the birds or seeds.  I have a sunflower seed feeder out and it is fine.  I'll try dawn.  I was hoping someone knew what this is.  Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Bleach is a great disinfectant but it's a lousy cleaner.  In particular, it's not a grease solvent, so increasing the concentration isn't going to make a difference.
 

I was actually wondering at first if it was too high of a concentration, and was messing with the finish of the plastic. The 1/10th dilution shouldn't have been too strong, though.

I'd go back to the folks at WBU and see what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already did go back to WBU.  The woman there didn't know a lot.  The plastic is not damaged.  I managed to clean it off.   I just had to scrub a lot with a rough cloth to get it off.  Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×