Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

The 2018 migration tracker has just been posted for this migration season.  What made me think about it was how warm it has been for the last 10-12 days.   We hit 80 degrees last week here in central Alabama.  Near record high.  I'll be interested to see if the hummingbirds show up any earlier this year.  They are usually pretty consistent when they show up each year.  

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

• Like 1

If you like hummingbirds like many of us do, you should read the article about hummingbird migration,  behaviors, diet, habits, etc. that was written by Lanny Chambers. He is the one that builds the migration tracker each year and he knows quite a bit about hummingbirds.  I did not realize that it is good to leave your feeders out with fresh nectar until it starts freezing until I read his articles.   Apparently, there are western species that come over our way in the winter so there is a chance that you could see a non ruby-throated if you leave them out til freezing.  I left mine out this past Fall and did not see another variety but I had a friend at work that thinks he saw a different variety that he was unable to identify in October. 

http://www.hummingbirds.net/migration.html

Has anyone seen any hummers yet here in the South?  They have almost made it to Tennessee and just made it into the southern edge of North Carolina.  Missouri won't be long.   I haven't seen any but I'm at work all day so I'm not sure if I have had a visitor or not?  

My sister in Gainesville, FL saw her first one 3 or 4 days ago at her feeder. She was very excited to have her friend back!

I am still waiting in Indiana to see any hummies, or for that matter, any migratory bird!

The juncos, pine siskins and gold finches left my yard to go north last week.   The next visitors that I get excited about are the rose-breasted grosbeaks and the indigo buntings.  They usually arrive in late April. 

I still have Juncos but I was wondering where my Gold Finches went to! :wacko: I put my hummingbird feeder out about 10 days ago but nothing yet. This will be my first year to have one out this early. I read that you should keep it in the same place you had it last year and they will remember where to find it easier? Not sure how true that is.

I still have Juncos, and Goldfinches stay here year round for me. Red winged blackbirds arrived a couple of weeks ago, but now I'm seeing a greater variety of Sparrows. On Monday I saw my first Eastern Towhee of the season! 

Yes, I keep my hummingbird feeders in the same places. They do know where they are! I haven't seen any here yet, but don't expect they'll arrive for another week or two. Can't wait!

• Like 1

I didnt start doing the hummingbird feeder until late last summer and then poof they left. This will be my first full season, and hopefully I get some. I heard a lot of them go thru Texas. I even bought a better feeder this year with any moat :lol: I'm going to use the sugar water recipe too. It seems like a lot of people use that recipe.

You should have plenty of them before long! The sugar water recipe is very easy! I've found that it's better for the hummies if I change their nectar more frequently, so I don't fill up my feeders as full as I used to. I was throwing away a lot. So far, the most hummingbirds that I've seen here was 4 in one season (last year). They are very territorial here. I'm always amazed when I see several hovering near or eating at one feeder all at the same time. Here, they chase each other away! I have 4 feeders here, so there's plenty to go around, but they still seem to chase each other and guard the feeders as though they own them! :lol:

• Like 1

I'll probably get another feeder too if I get a situation like yours. It seemed like this last year I didnt really have many because I started so late in the season. I was thinking the same as you on the sugar water. It will be a lot cheaper than those bottles at the store. I can never tell if its bad or good, so easiest just to make some fresh nectar, and throw the old stuff out. I hear a lot of talk about what types of feeders are best too. I wanna try several types and see which ones go over well.

• Like 1

I saw my first hummingbirds this morning. I wish I was able to get a picture, but it went so fast. It was 2 black looking ones. My azaleas are starting to bloom out, so they must be getting close by now. I have my feeder dangling right over the top of them.

12 hours ago, MeInDallas said:

I saw my first hummingbirds this morning. I wish I was able to get a picture, but it went so fast. It was 2 black looking ones. My azaleas are starting to bloom out, so they must be getting close by now. I have my feeder dangling right over the top of them.

What different sorts of hummingbirds are normally seen in the Dallas area? Here I only get Ruby-throated Hummies. I will say that in certain lights, the Ruby throats look black, but when the sunlight hits just right, I can see their green color. 

Well my first one arrived today that I've seen, and I thought it was a black throated one, and it flew to the bush nearby, and looked around and it was like a big ruby shining in the tree, so I grabbed my phone. It comes back a lot too. I've got another video but it got so big because it was drinking so much.

40385918765_878c3b3554_b.jpg

Click on the picture and it will go to Flickr to play the video.

• Like 1

I saw my first one yesterday morning. Female.  I think she was just passing through going North because I didn't see her again after lunch. 

The hummies ought to wait at least a few more days before they venture to my house. We're having our third snowfall in as many weeks. Winter decided to come a little late this year! :unsure: