Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Can anyone tell me why there is such a difference in size between the male and female hawks that live on my property?  Is it the male or female that is larger?  I still do not have a good camera but I will get one at some point in time. They are so expensive! 

hawks.jpg

In hawks, it is typically the female that is larger. Have they nested on your property before? Typically they'll return to the same territory to nest each year.

Their nest may be on my neighbor's property but they stay on my property more than any other because of how many chipmunks and squirrels I have.  They don't seem to eat birds like a Sharpie or Coopers.  Just after I took this photograph, the female swooped down and scratched back some pine straw and grabbed a wiggler worm that may have been 6 inches long.  I have no idea how she was able see that worm moving underneath the pine straw?  She saw it from 100' away. . Just goes to show you how amazing their eye sight is. 

I like them but they make a lot of racket. They scream at each other even when they are close to one another so I am not quite sure why they don't tone it down some... Ha ha! 

• Haha 1

The size difference is called sexual dimorphism. There are several reasons why the female is larger.  One is that two birds can share the same territory. The female hunts larger prey, while the male focuses on smaller, quicker prey. Therefore they do not deplete their territory of prey. The female does most of the brood sitting, so larger size is an obvious advantage there. Also, when the female is on the nest, and the male instinctively brings food, he may be reluctant to part with it. The larger female can just take it away. These are just a few of the possible reasons for the size difference. Falconers noticed this centuries ago, and their term for a male hawk is Tiercel, which literally means one third, which refers to the male hawk or falcon being one third smaller than the female.

• Like 1

Thank you for letting us know more about them. That is amazing how those traits have developed to help the species survive. I talked to my neighbor who has the nest on his property and this pair has fledged 7 hawks in the last 3 years. Last year they succesfully fledged 3 so they are getting better at their craft. This is not good news for the chipmunks. 

• Like 1