Whatbird Community Board
TmCat5

Canadian geese on cliff

Canadian geese high on a cliff above the Pacific.  Is nesting like this unusual?  Mendocino County California, April

image.png.16da33852bd96f75529f60c8ca7f6a9b.png

19 hours ago, MerMaeve said:

Sorry, but there is nothing called "Canadian Geese"  it is "Canada Geese".

Nice job using a technical nit picking to avoid answering the primary question  :blink:

On 2/28/2018 at 10:20 PM, TmCat5 said:

Canadian geese high on a cliff above the Pacific.  Is nesting like this unusual?  Mendocino County California, April

image.png.16da33852bd96f75529f60c8ca7f6a9b.png

You used the word 'nesting'.  Did you see them there regularly, or signs of a nest?   Canada Geese nest on the ground on a large pile of material they've gathered close to the water (often right beside it).  Goslings can swim long before they can fly, so I doubt they'd nest that far above the water.

If you didn't see them again, they were likely just passing through.

23 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Nice job using a technical nit picking to avoid answering the primary question  :blink:

Sorry!! It bugs me a LOT when things like that are wrong.  Partly I didn't know either.

On 3/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, MerMaeve said:

Sorry, but there is nothing called "Canadian Geese"  it is "Canada Geese".

I am sorry I did not get my punctuation correct.  I was speaking of the birds in the plural.  I had always heard them called Canadian Geese.  I am sorry it bugged you.  I am still a fairly new member and I am learning as I go.

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

You used the word 'nesting'.  Did you see them there regularly, or signs of a nest?   Canada Geese nest on the ground on a large pile of material they've gathered close to the water (often right beside it).  Goslings can swim long before they can fly, so I doubt they'd nest that far above the water.

If you didn't see them again, they were likely just passing through.

They were nesting on this high "rock"? with cliff faces all around.  It was completely surrounded by water.  There were at least two adults sitting with goslings near and under them.  I was so startled as I was just trying to get some ocean shots and did not expect to see them.  I had my long lens so was able to pull the photo in.  I am not certain whether this is a regular thing or not.  As a safety thing it would be an ideal nest, but it was a long way down to the water and the rocks down below.

20170423_SED_FortBragg1337.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MerMaeve said:

Sorry!! It bugs me a LOT when things like that are wrong.  Partly I didn't know either.

People are human, dear. If you don't know the answer, it's best in this situation to be like: "Wow, that is so interesting, I have no idea why they would nest there. By the way, in case you didn't know, the name is Canada Geese, rather than the term Canadian Geese that so many people say."

To TmCat5- that is really weird. I have no idea what they are doing up there! Maybe they've successfully nested there before?

• Like 5

18 hours ago, TmCat5 said:

I am sorry I did not get my punctuation correct.  I was speaking of the birds in the plural.  I had always heard them called Canadian Geese.  I am sorry it bugged you.  I am still a fairly new member and I am learning as I go.

The plural (I think) is Canada Geese, the singular is Goose.  

I promise, not all Whatbird members are as nit-picky as me. -_- Sorry!

1 hour ago, MerMaeve said:

The plural (I think) is Canada Geese, the singular is Goose.  

I promise, not all Whatbird members are as nit-picky as me. -_- Sorry!

For what it's worth, MerMaeve, it bugs me too. When I was a kid, my Mother, rest her soul, was a stickler for correct spelling, pronunciation, and punctuation. It has stuck with me throughout my life. I think it's a good thing! :)

• Like 1

Ha!  My wife and I just had this conversation yesterday and we decided it was okay to say Canadian Geese because that is what most people call them anyway.  I'm sticking with Canadian!  It's not like we're using their Latin names anyway.  Common names are just that, common... and it's common for people to say Canadian Geese.  Also, COOL PHOTO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drake said:

Ha!  My wife and I just had this conversation yesterday and we decided it was okay to say Canadian Geese because that is what most people call them anyway.  I'm sticking with Canadian!  It's not like we're using their Latin names anyway.  Common names are just that, common... and it's common for people to say Canadian Geese.  Also, COOL PHOTO.

Thank you Drake.  My camera was being a llttle bit finicky but I at least got a few shots.

I acknowledge the language lessons, but I think errors can be pointed out gently,.  I came to this site because I wanted to learn more.  I am not an expert by any means, nor have I ever claimed to be.   I hope to continue to learn.   I have a great respect for those who pass on knowledge with kindness.  You are ambassadors to those who are just trying birding.  Your encouragement is a great help.

I am only human after all. 

I appreciate those who took the time to answer my question.  

• Like 1