Whatbird.com Community
chipperatl

Travel storage for birding/photo equipment

I currently have a Lowepro backpack that barely fits Canon 7D MK II with battery grip, 400mm lens attached, 80mm angled scope, and Bushnell 10x42 binoculars in chestpack (stuffed in the outer section).  Add on other stuff in the bag, and tripod, and the thing is a beast to haul around the airport.  If I have room I have a couple of times thrown the tripod in my other carry-on.  

I’m looking at the Lowepro x200 AW, as a roller carryon, that also has a backpack option to it.  I have another decent size backpack that can handle about a week’s worth of clothes, and be much lighter.  I think I can use this for my normal birding also.  

What does everyone else else use for carrying all your equipment around?  Thanks in advance.  

On 3/11/2018 at 4:28 PM, chipperatl said:

What does everyone else else use for carrying all your equipment around?  

http://www.audubon.org/news/seven-sturdy-backpacks-birders-and-bird-photographers

http://www.glennbartley.com/naturephotography/articles/gear.htm

I can't  help because I'm Nikon  man -but i hope links will helpful .

Happy birding .

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 10:02 PM, Mike_56 said:

Nikon...Canon....doesn't matter to me:D  Just looking to see what everyone else uses for both birding and photography travel.  Seems like most of the stuff I find is strictly for photography equipment.  No scopes or binoculars.  The Bartley helped, thank you.  I follow him on YouTube, but don't get to his site much.  He recommends the x300 AW, which is not carry-on, but the same style as the x200 AW.  

I pulled the trigger on the x200 AW, as someone had it for $100 less on Amazon, which turned out to be 1/2 retail price.  I’ll give a review once I get it, and see how it can handle my birding/camera equipment.  

• Like 1

It arrived today.  It will work out perfectly for travel, and if it holds up well enough for my "day-to-day" birding as well.  Scope (yes a very cheap one;)), binoculars and my camera and lens fit in there, and are going to be much more accessible than what I have been using.  Plenty of other room for anything else for when I do end up traveling.  

Way more dividers than I think I'll ever need.  

40185229605_142683753e_c.jpgUntitled by chipperatl2, on Flickr

Quick toss in of my day-to-day stuff.

40369589964_25a1660f7d_c.jpgUntitled by chipperatl2, on Flickr

Some of the internal storage, although I've moved the batteries into the bottom, and the memory card into an outside flap.

40369590484_bc72cfb421_c.jpgUntitled by chipperatl2, on Flickr

Bonus for when I end up on the smaller regional jets that don't allow roller bags.  Seems to happen when I head to N.C.  I can pull the camera backpack out, throw my clothes in the rest of it as a roller to be checked.  Just need to make sure my clothes are in something I can stuff in there.  

26207465157_6d3c77e86c_c.jpg by chipperatl2, on Flickr

Loaded and reconfigured a bit.  I may swap everything 180 degrees in the bag to put the heavier camera on the bottom.  

39270614840_a1233f6019_c.jpgUntitled by chipperatl2, on Flickr

• Like 1

@chipperatl  --i think:  lest picture -camera on the left (on the picture) need more protection on the bottom 

Nice i hope you will enjoy .

• Like 1

I'm a little late late to this party but I use a Pelican case to lug all my junk around. It's a heavy, but necessary evil for bringing my camera gear out into the harsh field environments. 

2018-04-02_07-08-55

• Like 1

@dred - do you have a scope and binoculars in there also?  Is that a roller case, or smaller one you carry around?   I was close to getting a Pelican, but still am wary of letting my equipment out of my hands.  Often when I go to N.C. the regional jets would make me have to plane-side check something like that.  That being said I can see myself getting something similar in the future, but not for travel. 

I've used my new backpack section over the weekend, and not sure it could hold up as "every day" usage.  One, not sure I want to put the wear and tear on it, aesthetically.  Two, the straps on it really seem to be more of a "just in case".  Which honestly is what I got it for.  If I could use it for normal local usage, that was going to just be a bonus.  I'd still like to find something that my stuff can always be stored in, and I can just grab and go it all at once.  Not have to find my scope case, and my camera backpack, and my binoculars case, and any other various stuff (gloves, hats, rain gear, etc).   

It is a roller but apparently you can use it for a carry on on most planes. I don't have a scope but I could rearrange the dividers to hold one if I took out some of my lenses. It hold my 600mm while attached to the camera with room to spare. I use it for a little piece of mind when I take my camera on the boat on a nasty day. 

• Like 1

I too am late to the party, and also use a pelican case, albeit a much smaller case and for more local traveling. I like mine for the soft cell, pluck and pick padding inside and a basically indestructible, waterproof case. It's cumbersome to tote around because it has no straps or wheels and only one way to carry it, by the handle, but that's a small price to pay to know that my gear is safe when I am paddling the canoe in anything less than perfectly calm conditions. I have changed cameras and lenses, added and removed  smaller lenses and flashes, all easily done by plucking a section of foam out or putting a section of foam in. While dividers in camera bags can usually be arranged to meet your needs, I find the soft cell padding in my pelican case unbeatable in versatility for equipment arrangement and think it would have a better cushioning affect regardless of the case it's in. That's just my opinion but I thought I'd share it, for what it's worth. Here's a photo of the type of soft cell padding I am referring to. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by lonestranger
Typo
  • Like 1

I like that padding for the Pelican.  I haven’t seen that in my looking around on Amazon yet.  Looking at maybe picking one up for my daily usage.  

Thanks for the feedback back so far everyone.

Now that I read closer, it looks like that pluck and pick foam is the "standard" foam in Pelican cases.  Makes those much more affordable to purchase as another case, not the $300 I was looking at for dividers and lid organizer.  I assumed the foam was just a block you need to cut yourself.  I will probably pick up the 1510 in the near future, as that can also be used for carry-on should I decide to run with one or the other.  Plus the size should work good for sitting in passenger side of Jeep and having all my gear at hand. 

I have the 1510 and it's the perfect size for me. I've had issues pick and pull foam when trying to leave a one block thin row, but other than that it works great. 

• Like 1

And I will say that we have used and abused our pelican cases at work every day for years and the only thing we have ever had to replace are the clips to close them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dred said:

And I will say that we have used and abused our pelican cases at work every day for years and the only thing we have ever had to replace are the clips to close them. 

Another reason I think the Pelican will work for me as my local “bag”.  Going to get one soon.

This is our newest work pelican case and it's kind of ridiculous. 

2018-04-05_07-44-162018-04-05_07-45-03

• Like 1

The 1510 showed up today.  I may need to send it back.  There is less internal room than the Lowepro. Doesn’t look like I can fit scope, binocs and camera in it, let alone any other extra lens that the Lowepro was holding.  

I ordered the Pelican 1600.  Should be here Thursday.  I just looked at the internal dimensions for both the LowePro and the Pelican 1510, and the Pelican is barely bigger cubically due to being deeper.  I think the nearly 2" of width it gives up to the LowePro is the difference between fitting my binocular case in there, and not.  The 1600 will give me about 3.4" more inches of width over the LowePro and 5.5" more width than the 1510.  Definitely will be able to pack it up with everything I need.  I can deal with that, considering it should only be for dragging from Jeep to house, and back for the most part. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of the pick and pluck foam, and not sure I like the plastigrip spray option for it.  First day out, and had issues with foam in between sections splitting.  Padded divider is in my future, which means the case will probably be a little more than I need, but I’m okay with that.  Functionally it worked perfect.  Fit on passenger seat of Jeep, allowed me access to all my stuff.  I just grabbed the case and went out the door with everything I needed.  At some point I’ll be adding a flash, at least a macro lens, and probably some black lights for mothing.   Also the depth of the case was a little shallow for binocs case and angled scope.  I had to cut the bottom foam out for the binocs case.  

39645543770_1209842e55_c.jpgUntitled by chipperatl2, on Flickr