Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.

Help ID bird by call (with video)

Heard this yesterday in western Connecticut.  Starting at the one second mark, there's a rattle followed by a hooo-mwah, hooo-mwah.  Then it repeats.  (Turn up the volume.)

I heard this call on and off for 20-30 minutes (maybe longer?) and shortly after I got this video it stopped and I didn't hear it again.  This video was at about 4:25 in the afternoon. 

Maybe sandhill crane?  I can find recordings that sound similar to the rattle part, but nothing that sounds like the hooo-mwah hooo-mwah.

That rattle sounds like a crow or a raven clattering it's bill. Ravens especially have surprisingly varied repertoires, so that would be my guess. Blue Jays also do some odd things, although I don't know that I've heard one clatter like that.

We have a boatload of crows around here--I've never heard this before.  The voice sounds different as well.  Can you show me a recording or video of a crow making the rattle followed by the hooo-mwah hooo-mwah sound?  I've poked around and can see why the rattle noise might say crow, but wasn't able to turn up anything remotely similar to the rest of the call.  Unsure about ravens in this area but will go google for raven calls and listen.

The call came from the same area, with no other noises that sounded anything like this, for 20-30 minutes (or more?) and then was gone.  I'd hear a couple calls like this, then a pause, then more calls.  There is a river in that general direction, but the call sounded closer.  In real life, the hooo-mwah hooo-mwah was more pronounced. 

The common birds that I hear all the time are red shouldered hawks and crows.  We also have a pair (or more?) of barred owls that just moved back in.

I've been listening to a boatload of crow and raven calls (thanks so much for linking to the xeno-canto site!  Awesome!) and I'm just not hearing it :lol:  I understand why it's *close* but there's a ... hooting? element in what I heard yesterday that I'm just not finding.  Maybe I'm just nuts!  I hope whatever it was comes back :)