Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Tclarkwood

2018 - Any Bluebirds Nesting Yet?

Yep...  I have 5 eggs and momma is already sitting on them. When I was out last night, there were lightening bugs outside late.  What an early start this year! 

March 15 BB Eggs.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not aware of nesting yet, but they've been inspecting my bluebird house.  I'm very excited about that!  They've been actively feeding in my yard for some time now, even when it was bitter cold.  I keep dried mealworms out for them.

I hope mine wait a little bit longer.  We have two nights of freezing temps in the forecast for next week.  I have noticed fewer Bluebirds the last few days, which tells me the battle for the yard has begun.  Still too early to tell who will win.

On 3/17/2018 at 10:23 AM, Tclarkwood said:

Yeah we are going to hit 33 on Wednesday or Thursday night.  Do you think the eggs will survive? 

Eggs will be fine as long sh she is incubating, which she should be if clutch is complete.  I'm down to 3 males and 1 female, so as soon as one drives the other two off, we should be good to go.  

She has been sitting on them since March 14th so we should see some hatching early next week.  Tonight will be the coldest night hitting 33 for just a brief moment and then next week looks warmer.  There is a chance that tonight could be our last freeze of the season for our states if you look at the extended, extended forecast.  Then the yard work season kicks in full swing! 

I got back in town following a short bring break trip with the kids and the nest is full of chicks.  I wasn't able to count them to make sure there are 5 but I will get a chance soon. I'm guessing they hatched on Monday-Tuesday. 

Congratulations!  So far I can't even get mine to build a nest in the bluebird house.  They like my dried mealworms, drink from the bird bath, and then fly off to some other yard.  I used to have bluebird families regularly.  Last year my bluebirds built so many nests that I "helped" them by scooting the buildup out as it was getting too near the opening and that would mean predator birds could get to the chicks.  Well, I guess they didn't want my help and left to build their next nests somewhere else!

I always rake the nest out after each brood.  It seems to stimulate them to work fast to get another brood going.  Sometimes when I leave the nest in the box they seem to take a lot longer to get going again.   

Hopefully yours will get a move on!  

Today is day 16 after hatch so I will be watching the bluebird box to see if I can catch a glimpse of any of them leaving the box.  I'm guessing that since I had such a early brood that it could be up to 20 or more days before they fledge since the lower number of insects had to be an issue this early in the season.  I never had a good chance to see if I had 5 eggs hatch.  I know that I saw 4 babies about 6 days ago and then stopped disturbing the box so I would not make any of them anxious looking at them. 

Does anyone know how to get more space on your whatbird account so that you can post additional photos?  I used up my allotment of space with my last photo.   

2 hours ago, Tclarkwood said:

Today is day 16 after hatch so I will be watching the bluebird box to see if I can catch a glimpse of any of them leaving the box.  I'm guessing that since I had such a early brood that it could be up to 20 or more days before they fledge since the lower number of insects had to be an issue this early in the season.  I never had a good chance to see if I had 5 eggs hatch.  I know that I saw 4 babies about 6 days ago and then stopped disturbing the box so I would not make any of them anxious looking at them. 

Does anyone know how to get more space on your whatbird account so that you can post additional photos?  I used up my allotment of space with my last photo.   

Are you using a third party site to upload your pics to?  I don't believe if you do that, and copy and paste the code to your post on here, you will use up your data.  My Blues finally got the yard straightened out and she laid her first egg on Monday.  We are 3 weeks behind the first egg last year, but better late than never.

• Like 1

I used Flickr but I had to shut down my account since some photos were not as private as the company claims.  No biggie.   I'm glad your blues got started this year. 

20 hours ago, Tclarkwood said:

I used Flickr but I had to shut down my account since some photos were not as private as the company claims.  No biggie.   I'm glad your blues got started this year. 

For what it’s worth, I use Imgur.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:02 AM, Chaseman said:

For what it’s worth, I use Imgur.

Thanks!  I'll look into it.