Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
Ryan D

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder Needed

Recommended Posts

Can anyone recommend a good squirrel proof feeder that blue jays and robins can access?

I've got one in my backyard that keeps getting mauled by the damn squirrels!! I know they need to eat as well but thats not my intent:)

Thanks to anyone for your suggestions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked out the one recommended by Tclarkwood and it certainly appears to work very well.  The price at Amazon, about $90, would make me hesitate, but if you're truly fed up it is likely the best answer.  

Not knowing the configuration of your yard with trees, etc. and other access points for squirrels, which you can consider "flying" squirrels as they surely seem to do that,  I'll add my recommendation that you look into the baffles that are available.  The ones we've used have been the answer for us as it keeps the squirrels from crawling up the poles we use.  We have enough free space away from bushes/trees that there is no launching point for the squirrels to jump above the baffle.  We have used cheap plastic ones successfully which we found at Walmart, but I have been happiest with the metal ones from Tractor Supply.  Plastic was about $10 and metal about $25 I think.  Even when they jump from my flower containers, they can't overcome the wave action of the baffle.  You will have to judge if this will help your situation.  Best of luck; we do understand your frustration.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you need to decide what you want.  I have several poles and each of them can hold 4 feeders.  I get good baffles for the poles (I use raccoon baffles since we have raccoons) and then I can buy four inexpensive feeders for each one.  Haven't met a squirrel yet that can bypass the baffles, and I've had my feeders up for years.  So, if you want 1 good feeder, go for the expensive squirrel proof one.  If you want multiple feeders, get a good baffle.  BTW, I have one of the squirrel proof feeders, and they do work well.  Since you can adjust the weight setting on it, I have mine close when something as heavy as a Starling lands on it.  It gets used mainly by nuthatches, chickadees and birds of that size.  However, it's still on a pole with a baffle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2018 at 9:14 AM, Ryan D said:

Can anyone recommend a good squirrel proof feeder that blue jays and robins can access?

 

Robins as in American Robins? (Hard to tell, because your location isn't listed.) We have many Robins, running all over the yard, and In all my years of feeding birds I have never seen one at a feeder.  Not one. Plenty Blue Jays, no Robins.  How do you attract them?  I'd love to see them at the feeder. Even as common as they are, I think they're beautiful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr. Ray Hairweave said:

Robins as in American Robins? (Hard to tell, because your location isn't listed.) We have many Robins, running all over the yard, and In all my years of feeding birds I have never seen one at a feeder.  Not one. Plenty Blue Jays, no Robins.  How do you attract them?  I'd love to see them at the feeder. Even as common as they are, I think they're beautiful.

Oh my, to me that is funny.  I am overrun with Robins all over my feeders.  They devour dried mealworms, and seed of any kind that is in a platform feeder.  Tried limiting them by only putting out BOSS, thinking they wouldn't like that, but I was wrong.  They seem to be very partial to my homemade suet as well.  If I could figure out how to keep them away,, I would be happy.  Not uncommon for me to look out and see 20 Robins on the feeders, doing their best to keep everyone else away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chaseman said:

Oh my, to me that is funny.  I am overrun with Robins all over my feeders.  They devour dried mealworms, and seed of any kind that is in a platform feeder.  Tried limiting them by only putting out BOSS, thinking they wouldn't like that, but I was wrong.  They seem to be very partial to my homemade suet as well.  If I could figure out how to keep them away,, I would be happy.  Not uncommon for me to look out and see 20 Robins on the feeders, doing their best to keep everyone else away.

I don't have platform feeders and don't put out mealworms,  so maybe that's the reason. Or maybe you have different Robbins down south. Anyway, If you don't like them, send them up here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Squirrel Buster Plus, Peanut Plus, and 2 Mini's and they work like a charm. They are expensive though. The Mini's start at around $26 plus tax, that I have seen in my area. I have a friend that has one like the other mentioned, the Homestead brand and she really swears by it as well. The squirrels, pigeons, doves, grackles, and all the big ones try to eat, but they stop trying after awhile.

I heard the baffle set ups work great too. I have a dome on a regular feeder in the front thats low enough to prevent large birds from eating, and the squirrels so far havent tried it because its dangling from a long piece of 20 pound fishing line. The dome prevents wild spinning because its heavy. Doesnt do too well on windy days though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×