Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
Snapshotbirder

SE Arizona in May

All right, here we go...just a few more weeks and I'll be hanging out in southeastern Arizona. We plan on staying there for a few days. So, with that in mind, what spots would you recommend for adding a number of those range restricted specialties? Patagonia looks promising, especially for hummingbirds, but what about some spots in the mountains?

Well, I assume you'll be chasing some of the rarities?  Target those, and pick up the others in the process.

Carr Canyon is great for mountain birds and one of the best places for Buff-breasted Flycatcher.  I'd say there is a very good chance that Tufted Flycatcher will still be up there.  When in the Huachucas, you might as well also visit the other major spots like Ash Canyon B&B, Miller Canyon, and Ramsey Canyon. 

Who knows if the Sinaloa Wren will still be showing by the time you get there, but worth keeping tabs on that as well as the Rose-throated Becard that has been near by.

Of course there are tons of other great spots like Paton's, the whole Madera Canyon area, Mt. Lemmon, the Chiricahuas, etc.  All of these spots have been covered in the numerous prior trip reports and prior posts asking for information.

3 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

Well, I assume you'll be chasing some of the rarities?  Target those, and pick up the others in the process.

Carr Canyon is great for mountain birds and one of the best places for Buff-breasted Flycatcher.  I'd say there is a very good chance that Tufted Flycatcher will still be up there.  When in the Huachucas, you might as well also visit the other major spots like Ash Canyon B&B, Miller Canyon, and Ramsey Canyon. 

Who knows if the Sinaloa Wren will still be showing by the time you get there, but worth keeping tabs on that as well as the Rose-throated Becard that has been near by.

Of course there are tons of other great spots like Paton's, the whole Madera Canyon area, Mt. Lemmon, the Chiricahuas, etc.  All of these spots have been covered in the numerous prior trip reports and prior posts asking for information.

Thanks, and yes, rarities will above all be the priority for me. So even though I'll be creating an itinerary of spots to visit, I'll leave a little wiggle room in case a new rarity pops up. And I'll look at some of the older trip reports to learn more about those areas.

I just got back from the Tucson area for the AOS conference.  We went up to the Rose Canyon Lake area (home of the one-day-wonder Red Warbler) and picked up all the expected birds including Grace's and Olive Warblers.  We also went to Madera Canyon and checked out the feeders at Kubo B&B where we had Rivoli's Hummingbird and Elegant Trogon.