Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

    • Bigfoot

      Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

      'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

      Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

      Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Donny

Trying to identify a bird

Recommended Posts

We’ve been hearing a bird whistle from our sycamore tree the last few days (April 10-13, 2018) here in Arlington, Texas. We live in a suburban area with a very large yard. The whistle is one short high followed by two medium-long lower tones. It’s not high pitched like a black capped chickadee or white throated sparrow. Here is a 4 second video just for sound that I uploaded to YouTube.

 

Edited by Donny
To add the video of the sound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a Black-crested Titmouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Whatbird, @Donny. Storage space is very, VERY limited here at Whatbird but if you upload your video to YouTube and then share the link here, you've got a good chance of getting an accurate ID. I won't be able to help with the ID but there's lots of good ears here on Whatbird to help you out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2018 at 4:46 PM, lonestranger said:

Welcome to Whatbird, @Donny. Storage space is very, VERY limited here at Whatbird but if you upload your video to YouTube and then share the link here, you've got a good chance of getting an accurate ID. I won't be able to help with the ID but there's lots of good ears here on Whatbird to help you out

Thank you, I will try that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2018 at 2:42 PM, BigOly said:

Maybe a Black-crested Titmouse?

 

On 12/04/2018 at 2:42 PM, BigOly said:

Maybe a Black-crested Titmouse?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for responding!  - that’s not it, but some of the whistles are closer in pitch to the black-crested titmouse, unless there are some of its whistles I haven’t found online yet. It almost seems like I’ve heard this bird in the Caribbean - which doesn’t make sense. I also thought for a little bit that it might be some kind of tree frog. But we are a long ways from the islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caribbean makes me think of Great Kiskadee (and its "KISS-ka-dee" call fits your pattern) also found in southern TX??? Just s long shot....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2018 at 2:42 PM, BigOly said:

Maybe a Black-crested Titmouse?

I uploaded to YouTube - here is the link to my 4-second video. 

 

Edited by Donny
Video link added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REB3rd said:

Caribbean makes me think of Great Kiskadee (and its "KISS-ka-dee" call fits your pattern) also found in southern TX??? Just s long shot....

Thanks for responding! That’s not it, but what a beautiful bird! I figured out how to upload my video to YouTube so that I could post the link on here. This is it:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see this as a Blue Jay, perhaps? Incidentally, the chickadees you get in that area are Carolina Chickadees -- Black-capped live farther north and have a slightly lower-pitched, simpler song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll check out the different blue jay sounds online. We do have blue jays in the backyard, but I usually recognize them from the kind of screech call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Donny said:

I’ll check out the different blue jay sounds online. We do have blue jays in the backyard, but I usually recognize them from the kind of screech call.

It’s a little close to the queedle queedle sound, but it sounds almost like it’s swallowing the end of the queedle for a lack of a better description. I guess it might be a jay if it’s modifying its call or imitating another birds. Blue jays have nested in that tree in the past. I wish I were more an expert on the sounds. So far the queedle queedle seems to be the closest at this point. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2018 at 2:08 PM, Donny said:

We’ve been hearing a bird whistle from our sycamore tree the last few days (April 10-13, 2018) here in Arlington, Texas. We live in a suburban area with a very large yard. The whistle is one short high followed by two medium-long lower tones. It’s not high pitched like a black capped chickadee or white throated sparrow. Here is a 4 second video just for sound that I uploaded to YouTube.

 

The whistle we’ve been going crazy trying to identify was a grackle! Here’s a video. It does its regular slide whistle a couple of times and then at the end does the double whistle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Donny said:

The whistle we’ve been going crazy trying to identify was a grackle! Here’s a video. It does its regular slide whistle a couple of times and then at the end does the double whistle.

Yes, that's a male Great-tailed Grackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×