Whatbird Community Board
Nursey87

What type of bird is this and is it ok to put a wall

These birds are in Piedmont, AL photo was taken April 16, 2018. Nest is built on top of a column on my front porch. Last year all the babies fell out of the nest and died. So today I just took two small pieces of cardboard and placed around the nest to keep babies from falling. Should I take them down or is it ok to leave the small walls around the nest ? Also, can anyone help me identify the type of bird this is ? 

7F0E9029-35E2-44DB-9D20-67DF6933C245.jpeg

94AECCCD-FF5A-4F3B-878B-47E6FA952F44.jpeg

That's not a swallow nest. These look like Phoebes. Putting up the walls shouldn't make any difference. Birds don't normally just fall out of a nest -- if that were a regular thing, those birds would go extinct. If they did fall out, then it's because the nest was somehow disturbed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cliff and Barn Swallow nest are made of mud, and Cliff's build higher walls.  This nest looks to be leaves.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help, I was definitely thinking either Eastern Phoebe or Eastern Kingbird. I looked out the window this morning and the mom was back and forth feeding them. Psweet, I think your right. My ex wife had a big Maine Coon Cat and I’m beginning to wonder if it got them when they were trying to fledge. The walls don’t seem to bother them. The mother is using it as a perch to stand on and feed them. 

• Like 2

Well, if the parents have accepted the change to the nest then there's no reason to move them. They look short enough that the youngsters won't have any problem getting past them when it's time to fledge. (Sometimes the parents won't accept changes, especially during incubation, which is why I would have advised you not to do it in the first place, if you hadn't already).

1 hour ago, Nursey87 said:

I was definitely thinking either Eastern Phoebe or Eastern Kingbird.

I don't have enough experience to ID your young birds.  Between Phoebes and Kingbirds, they are probably phoebes because phoebes like to nest inside structures like old barns.  I think E. Kingbird prefers outdoors in a small tree.    You can tell the Eastern Kingbird adult by the field mark of a white tip at the end of the tail.  It's obvious in flight.  Enjoy your birdie guardianship.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nursey87 said:

I looked out the window this morning and the mom was back and forth feeding them. 

Can you get a photo of Mom? That would clarify the ID. And it would be great if you could keep the cat out of reach of the babies while they are on the ground, a natural phase of their development.