Whatbird.com Community
skoenlaper

Bendire's or curved bill Thrasher

Can anyone tell me if this is a Bendire's thrasher? I live outside of Tucson AZ and he was in my yard. We have lots of curved billed and this one looks different. I have tried identifying it with pictures and it looks like Bendire's to me but I want to make sure

Thanks, Teresa       P2020552.thumb.JPG.bf9a7bc37d11ae8c05c2d64826e2c137.JPG

Hello, skoenlaper, Welcome to Whatbird! I agree with the Bendire’s thrasher. I refereed to the Peterson Field Guides. I bought others as well to refer to so I wouldn’t make embarrassing mistakes.^_^

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bird rescue said:

Hello, skoenlaper, Welcome to Whatbird! I agree with the Bendire’s thrasher. I refereed to the Peterson Field Guides. I bought others as well to refer to so I wouldn’t make embarrassing mistakes.^_^

Could you list the field marks you used to separate this from Curved-billed? I could use help on separating these two from this angle.

• Like 1

I'm not entirely convinced, but here's the marks I can see that support Bendire's: The bill seems quite short and rather straight, with a pale base to the lower mandible. The eye doesn't seem to show much in the way of orange tones. And the left flank just below the wing seems to have a rather brown tone. Unfortunately, all of these can apparently be shown by young Curve-billed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psweet said:

I'm not entirely convinced, but here's the marks I can see that support Bendire's: The bill seems quite short and rather straight, with a pale base to the lower mandible. The eye doesn't seem to show much in the way of orange tones. And the left flank just below the wing seems to have a rather brown tone. Unfortunately, all of these can apparently be shown by young Curve-billed.

Thanks P. These were my thoughts as well. I was also thinking the angle of the head view might be making the bill look shorter.

• Like 1

Hello,  skoenlaper, you have the comparable of the Bendires thrasher and the Curve-bill thrasher being the Bendires straighter bill but still curved. The color of eyes on the Curve-bill eyes are a pale orange whereas the Bendire’s are usually yellow. My info came from Peterson Field Guide on page 272.

• Like 1