Whatbird.com Community
Sign in to follow this  
scotthubbard17

Please confirm Indigo Bunting

Seen today in my back yard in Glen Allen VA.  I have never seen one in my back yard before.  I assume a migrant passing through.  In the process of molting.  Pleas confirm. 

Thanks,

Scott H.

Indigo Bunting - Molting

• Like 1

Does anyone know anything about INBU molt timing to determine whether this is an SY male or just an adult transitioning into alternate?

20 hours ago, akiley said:

Does anyone know anything about INBU molt timing to determine whether this is an SY male or just an adult transitioning into alternate?

For Definitive Prealternate Molt, BNA says, "Males and females molt body plumage on the wintering grounds beginning in Feb, more often in Mar, and completed in late Mar to Apr before leaving in migration (Johnston and Downer 1968, Wetmore et al. 1984, FMNH, MCZ, UMMZ)."  However, Definitive Alternate is "Males: blue with blackish lores, greater primary coverst [sic] and greater secondary coverts black with blue edges. [...] A few males in later years (second through eighth) partly brown, occasionally more brown than blue; resemble males in Alternate I plumage except for blue greater primary coverts (banding returns, RBP, UMMZ)."  I think we're seeing blue greater primary coverts here, so this is an adult, or am I confused?

3 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

For Definitive Prealternate Molt, BNA says, "Males and females molt body plumage on the wintering grounds beginning in Feb, more often in Mar, and completed in late Mar to Apr before leaving in migration (Johnston and Downer 1968, Wetmore et al. 1984, FMNH, MCZ, UMMZ)."  However, Definitive Alternate is "Males: blue with blackish lores, greater primary coverst [sic] and greater secondary coverts black with blue edges. [...] A few males in later years (second through eighth) partly brown, occasionally more brown than blue; resemble males in Alternate I plumage except for blue greater primary coverts (banding returns, RBP, UMMZ)."  I think we're seeing blue greater primary coverts here, so this is an adult, or am I confused?

Hmm. I'm seeing that on this bird too, but the fact that they're supposed to complete their molt before leaving wintering grounds in March/April confuses me.

4 minutes ago, akiley said:

Hmm. I'm seeing that on this bird too, but the fact that they're supposed to complete their molt before leaving wintering grounds in March/April confuses me.

I was thinking that this one completed its molt and came out looking like a second-year bird.  (Incidentally, the article also said, "Males that are partly brown in breeding plumage in one year often return in all-ble [sic] plumage in the next year, and some adult males blue in one year return with brown and white patches in the next year (RBP)."