Whatbird.com Community

The weather has been warming up and we have hard a large variety of birds(Goldfinches, many sparrows and other varieties of finches,  cardinals, blue jays, juncos and more) but now they have seemed to disappear. Do they not feed as much in the spring? Are they building their nests right now? The only changes that were made was we recently got a new bird feeder and we opened our pool. Why have my birds disappeared? They are so much fun to watch.

2 hours ago, FamiliarFace said:

How long have they been gone?

They have been gone since we got the new bird feeder, about 2-3 days. I forgot to add we started adding cracked corn in the feeders. Could that be the problem?

I don't think adding corn is a deterrent as long as you have the same other foods still available. You are a little further North than I am, but not a ton. My feeder birds have been lazy today, but to be honest, I was gone over the weekend, so I don't know how much they fed then. The birds always go crazy at the feeders when a winter storm is around, and by comparison, it may appear that they aren't out there to us, yet, when I'm outside, I still hear singing from them, a little in the distance. So maybe they are getting new food stuffs now that Spring is slowly arriving. I haven't seen any nests in my yard yet, but I have been noticing lots of "baby-making" behavior.  Maybe that's what's going on for both of us. I'm still quite new to bird watching, so hopefully someone with more knowledge (won't be hard to do!) will comment soon.

I wouldn't be concerned about a couple of days, or even a couple of weeks.  I can only speak for SC, but I usually have a slow-down or two in the spring.  I've already had a four-day period when feeder activity was off, but it picked back up.

You might also have a predator around. Recently there was a hawk waiting to get a meal (or a few of them) and I had no idea, and wondered where the birds had gone. Then I heard a scuffle outside and there was a hawk with its mouth around a grackles neck. Scared all the birds away and my yard was dead for days. Once the coast was clear they all returned.

1 hour ago, MeInDallas said:

You might also have a predator around. Recently there was a hawk waiting to get a meal (or a few of them) and I had no idea, and wondered where the birds had gone. Then I heard a scuffle outside and there was a hawk with its mouth around a grackles neck. Scared all the birds away and my yard was dead for days. Once the coast was clear they all returned.

We have had a raccoon on our deck a for a few nights recently eating the seeds that fall. Would that be something that might scare the birds away?

5 hours ago, garretab2001 said:

We have had a raccoon on our deck a for a few nights recently eating the seeds that fall. Would that be something that might scare the birds away?

Not in my experience, though for me I usually only see the raccoons in the evening after the birds have finished for the day. I could be wrong, though, I just haven't seen it. 

Also look around and see if theres a new neighborhood cat that you cant really see, but the birds in the trees can spot really easy. That could be keeping them up in the tree tops instead taking a chance to come to your deck to get seeds.

my birds have not been around either but this happened last year about this time as well...Baltimore County Md.  Had lots of the same birds. now am down to a pair or two of each.....but they come back