Whatbird.com Community
passionateprints

Can you feed orioles orange juice?

I have had Baltimore Orioles at my oranges for the last two weeks. Due to the fact that they love the orange, is a good idea to squeeze the juice out of a half an orange and then put that out as well?

Thanks!

Welcome to Whatbird, @passionateprints. I have heard of people refreshing their orange halves with orange juice, but I've never heard of anyone squeezing the juice out of the oranges they're going to put out for the birds. Unless I misunderstood the question, which is entirely possible, I think it would be counter productive to squeeze the juice out of the oranges and then try to feed the birds juiceless oranges with orange juice on the side. You might consider putting out sugar water for the orioles instead, they love our hummingbird mixture of 4 parts water to one part sugar. Our orioles also love grape jelly served in a peanut butter lid with a small thumb screw in the center to keep it in place on our fruit feeding table.

12 hours ago, passionateprints said:

I have had Baltimore Orioles at my oranges for the last two weeks. Due to the fact that they love the orange, is a good idea to squeeze the juice out of a half an orange and then put that out as well?

Thanks!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WoodLink-Plastic-Oriole-Feeder/50321435?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-SosAtg-HolidayLeisure-_-50321435:WoodLink&CAWELAID=&kpid=50321435&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=88c5afab-24a8-4213-a134-0a85b3cb594b&gclid=CjwKCAjw_tTXBRBsEiwArqXyMo9nY_UPUGYft7Xj-GyJfcM3v1FziWopR0lwAIxv5uCa7qpPaqtl6BoC0iAQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

I've had quite a few Orioles come around lately. All they touch is the grape jelly I have set out in lids, they wont even touch the oranges I put out.

22 minutes ago, DougK-42 said:

I've had quite a few Orioles come around lately. All they touch is the grape jelly I have set out in lids, they wont even touch the oranges I put out.

Maybe its wrong Orioles ? according to internet they love oranges

Hi! I moved this to the backyard birds and feeders forum; maybe it will get a little more response here.

My guess is they wouldn't like dry squeezed oranges much, and the oranges wouldn't last long. But if you're making orange juice I don't see why you can't try it.

Baltimore Orioles also eat bananas here, right off the plants. You could try putting out a whole banana (they peck at the peel and get the fruit out), but I often wonder if they are thrown off by finding this kind of fruit in their breeding territory, where it doesn't grow; maybe they prefer local fruit in each location.

• Like 1

OK; I just remembered why I thought maybe you meant feed them the juice, not the squeezed orange halves - your thread title! I think OJ left out would become a sticky, bee-infested mess within a few hours on a warm day. I'd stick with the orange halves. The idea of refreshing them with extra juice is interesting, too.