Whatbird.com Community
Madár

I don't recognize this bird's call.

Our daughter, who lives in Connecticut, send us a sound file of a bird and asked my wife and I to ID it. Even though we've been birding for a long time, neither of us recognize the call. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Bird Song.m4a

A Tufted Titmouse was my first guess, although I was puzzled by the differences between what we hear daily here in Western Massachusetts and what our daughter is hearing in coastal Connecticut.  But the "another" calls seem very close to what she hears every day in her yard.

Thanks for the link! I'll forward to our daughter. We really appreciate your help.

Attached is a photo of a Tufted Titmouse gathering some of the undercoat brushed out from the coat of our dog named Foxy, who died last year. But she's still providing nesting material for a variety of birds. A second photo shows a Great Crested Flycatcher.

Tufted Titmouse with dog fur.JPG

Great Crested Flycatcher with dog fur.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, it's good to hear from a birder in Connecticut. The call our daughter is hearing is radically different from any Tufted Titmouse call we've ever heard during our lifetime of birding while living in Ohio, Minnesota, New Jersey, Eastern Massachusetts, Connecticut (not the coastal area of CT where our daughter lives), and now Western Massachusetts. When our daughter described the call in words, my first reaction was "Tufted Titmouse", but then she sent the audio file that was so different.

I'm really happy I found this site and just recommended that my daughter also join. Thank you!

• Like 1