Whatbird.com Community
Sign in to follow this  
Catharus

Anchorage Swallows

Observed today during a light drizzle at a marsh in Anchorage AK, this group of at least 25 swallows didn’t seem to have the sharply contrasting white underside I’d expect from tree swallows or violet-green swallows, the most common swallows here.  Other possibilities include bank, barn, and cliff swallows, but these certainly don’t have the deeply-forked tail of barn swallows.  There have only been a few sightings so far this spring of small numbers of bank, barn, and cliff swallows (mostly one, two, or three swallows at a time and in one case nine cliff swallows).  There have been far more sightings of tree and violet-green swallows, and in some cases in much larger numbers.  For all of these species, they’ve just begun showing up within the past week to ten days.  I’m fairly sure I had six tree swallows yesterday at the same location, but the rapid flyovers fairly high up and in less than optimal weather conditions have me in doubt.  These photos are awful but I’m hoping someone with more experienced eyes will get a useful impression from them.

&do=download

&do=download

&do=download

&do=download

&do=download

&do=download

&do=download

&do=download