Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Cool lunch shot Matt!

Last year at the golf course where my husband works, a heron got a bit too greedy trying to swallow a big fish out of the pond....it got stuck in the bird's mouth/throat and unfortunately, he didn't make it... Sad

OK, here's one....

"Who ATE my lunch?!"

post-6427--192047792_thumb.jpg

Here is my first attempt at putting a photo here. It was taken several years ago along the SanAntonio River Walk. My question is did he kill it or steal it. Lucky Heron in any case.  

post-7664-1203959960_thumb.jpg

FEED ME!! FEED ME!! FEED ME!!

original.aspx 

FEED ME!! FEED ME!! Ffmmph... mmmph....

original.aspx 

*Gulp*  Ahh, much better!

original.aspx

Loxahatchee NWR in Boynton Beach, FL.  See my "Fledgling Fest!" thread for a bit more story.

Terrible pic, but I had to post it.  What do you do when your lunch fights back? Surprise

post-6866-1480918488_thumb.jpg

Here is a Yellow Crowned Night Heron watching something very intently. He would move around a tad keeping his eye on something. I could not see anything while taking the picture but the image, not so clearly, shows a large snake or perhape a frog. I don't see mahny snakes here but frogs are common. I moved a bit closer but the heron moved away as expected. Your Great Blue with the snake is a great behavior shot. I love it. Tuggy

post-7664-152364936_thumb.jpg

this guy grabs something under water, then turns his head sideways, and looks at it's reflection in the water..if it were weeds, he tossed it.. if a fish, he ate it...anyone  else observe this type of behavior?

post-3372-1115967096_thumb.jpg

I love your new avatar, luv2bird!  Was that gull arrested for shoplifting!?? ;))

It seems like there was someone asking about how to use animated avatars not too long ago but I don't recall who it was.  Hopefully they've seen yours and asked you about it.

icon-quote.gif
birdseye:
this guy grabs something under water, then turns his head sideways, and looks at it's reflection in the water..if it were weeds, he tossed it.. if a fish, he ate it...anyone  else observe this type of behavior?

I don't think I have (I might have seen it and not noticed).  I'll have to watch for it now.  That would be funny to see.

I have seen the "grab a fish out of the water quicker than you can press the shutter release" behavior, though  Smile

post-6866--1328589680_thumb.jpg

"I told you, I can't get you another burger until the humans come back!"

"But... but... but... waaaaaaaaaaahh!"

post-6866--1434031272_thumb.jpg

birdseye...this guy grabs something under water, then turns his head sideways, andlooks at it's reflection in the water..if it were weeds, he tossed it..if a fish, he ate it...anyone  else observe this type of behavior?

I must be part bird, I always look at my food before I swallow it.

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

This thread has been one of my favorites since I have been visiting this site. I love observing behavior and this has been nothing but fun.

This red-winged mom did not like the fact that I stumbled upon her nest site (didn't get closer than 10').  She landed about 6' from me.  To go from nothing but blurry pictures to this was exciting for me.  Getting a crisp picture of a bird already on my life list is as good as getting a new species.  In order of excitement... new life bird, new yard bird, crisp picture, painting the house.

post-4928-381864736_thumb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
Matt:
This is a female yellow-headed blackbird.  When I look at the stuff they eat, yuk.  And they have taste buds! 

Nice shot. That's one I've not seen in the flesh...or the feathers.