Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Northern Harrier at Orlando Wetlands Park, last Sunday.  Lousy shot (underexposed by about 2 stops, lightened in ACR, despeckled, sharpened, cropped), but hey, it was a lifer!

post-6866--1986937392_thumb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
lyceel:

Northern Harrier at Orlando Wetlands Park, last Sunday.  Lousy shot (underexposed by about 2 stops, lightened in ACR, despeckled, sharpened, cropped), but hey, it was a lifer!

You call that a lousy shot?  I call it a good shot - if I got a flight shot half as good I'd be happy! 

Of course, seeing all your previous photos, I see why you have "high" standards.

Well, it's not so much how it came out (which is still not great, but it's OK at that size).  Really, what made it lousy to me is how much work I had to put into it to get it looking at least presentable.

I'm still jazzed that I got a life bird, though, and that I got a photo that's good enough for ID purposes!

icon-quote.gif
lyceel:

Well, it's not so much how it came out (which is still not great, but it's OK at that size).  Really, what made it lousy to me is how much work I had to put into it to get it looking at least presentable.

I'm still jazzed that I got a life bird, though, and that I got a photo that's good enough for ID purposes!

Yup - that's the main thing!  Congrats!

icon-quote.gif
JAC6:

Osprey in the Sierras.  This was just pure luck, but I'll take it.

Hard work and persistence pays off sometimes, but there just ain't no beating pure luck!! Nice photo!

I assume that's the same eagle that was involved in the biting incident in the other thread?  If so, I'm sure he/she will do well!  Smile

icon-quote.gif
lyceel:

I assume that's the same eagle that was involved in the biting incident in the other thread?  If so, I'm sure he/she will do well! 
Smile

Yep!  She was found comatose in the middle of a road last Wednesday night...didn't "come to" till the next day...then wreaked havoc in the aviary!  Was kept there for only the next day and a half to make sure she didn't have seizures or other problems.  Quite the feisty young lady!

Way cool shot, Matt!  I like how there are the 'out of focus' gulls in the background...they don't distract, and add to the concept of the photo.  nice job!

I second that!  (but I like yours better, John)  This is one of my very early bird photos, taken in Feb. shortly after I started getting interested in birds.

How about Amer. White Pelicans?  I finally got some decent shots of them, as they are very scarce in So CA until Fall/Winter I guess - there is a huge group of them at a place I go to in Irvine, CA, today.