Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

I have a growing collection of pictures of birds, nests, and situations that are odd or out of place.  Photgog's picture of a tailless hummer spurred me to start an oddity thread.  I have a number of pictures of deformities and never knew this type of thing was that prevalent.  It could be the heat.  This one is a House Finch.

post-4928-509635336_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt

From the reading I have done on the house finch it would appear that when they migrated to the east and west they had only a very small gene pool. As a result that is why you see red,orange and yellow colorings all the eye infections with the house finch and in your case the deformed beak.

Therefore any deformity that a house finch has is going to passed on due to the limited gene pool.

It gives that Ray Stevens song " I am my own grand pa " a whole new meaning.

This Yellow-(crooked)billed Magpie was around for a short time last year, but I only saw it a couple of times. I don't think it survived very long. Not likely, anyhow, given its condition.

post-4465--1443993848_thumb.jpg

OK, my son says dad, put out some water and you will attract more birds.  So I used a garbage can lid and fill it with fresh water each morning.  Within a week I get this visitor.  The picture was taken through two panes of glass so a bit fuzzy.  I have never seen a raptor at a bird bath....

post-4928--484666200_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Two winters ago, within the first few weeks of starting birding, I noticed this Ross's Goose flying with a flock of about 100+ Canada Geese.  It came back again last winter, this time joined by 3 Snow Geese.  It is not a valid entry for the WhatBird search program when the location is Arizona. 

Edit: CTcrystal just informed me that the WhatBird search program has been updated and that the Ross's now shows up on the Arizona search.  

post-4928--1122566664_thumb.jpg

This isn't an "abnormality" but I found it very funny, as I never saw it before (some of you may have seen this in your outings).  Look how these Black-necked Stilts are "sitting", with their legs bent like a "chair".  I never knew they did this!

I've seen flamingos do that before.  It does look rather odd, but I guess it's comfortable for them.

Another beak problem.  Was hoping for a Crissal and all I got was a deformed Curve-billed (top and bottom shots).  The middle picture is a standard CBTH in comparison to the odd bird.  Notice the offset in the bottom picture.

post-4928--816619752_thumb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
Curlybird:
This isn't an "abnormality" but I found it very funny, as I never saw it before (some of you may have seen this in your outings).  Look how these Black-necked Stilts are "sitting", with their legs bent like a "chair".  I never knew they did this!

And they're got the Avocet doing it too! 

icon-quote.gif
Matt:
Deformed leg on the left, normal on the right.  Black-necked Stilt.

Poor thing - was he (looks like a male - all black) limping?

icon-quote.gif
Curlybird:

Poor thing - was he (looks like a male - all black) limping?

Wasn't the least bit bothered by it, most injured birds I see just seem to get through it, pretty resilient.  

matt - looks like the cor. is tangled in fishing line.  i don't know if thats what you meant, but it looks like thats why its feathers are damaged. 

Yes natureboy, that is fishing line and why I stated that it was sad.  I call this the Chinese water torture of nature by our lack of sensitivity.  Here is another sad one, more than likely the act of someone's pet(s).  I have a long story on that subject.   

post-4928--163025232_thumb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
natureboy:

matt - looks like the cor. is tangled in fishing line.  i don't know if thats what you meant, but it looks like thats why its feathers are damaged. 

Poor thing!  Was there any way of catching the bird and untangling it?  I guess not or you would have.

Here's that House Finch with the strange bill again (I had posted this separately a while back).  This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.  Apparently it isn't affecting his ability to eat, as I have seen him eating the seeds but poor thing!

Question - That bird behind the finch - is that a male House Sparrow?

icon-quote.gif
Curlybird:

Here's that House Finch with the strange bill again (I had posted this separately a while back).  This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.  Apparently it isn't affecting his ability to eat, as I have seen him eating the seeds but poor thing!

Question - That bird
behind
the finch - is that a male House Sparrow?

Not a House Sparrow. From what I can see of it, Curlybird, it looks like a female Evening Grosbeak, although they're not supposed to be in your area according to my Sibley's. However, we all know that birds can't read, so they're likely to show up wherever they please!

EDIT: I was wrong...it is a male House Sparrow. I wanted to post it here as well as in the other thread so no one will be misled by my mistake.

Sorry, Curleybird. Embarrassed