Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Sorry, the only oil on this bird was the sun tan lotion floating on pool water.  Rescued this white-winged during a rain storm when it went into the pool.  Obviously took a little while to dry off.  I get a few of these every year just never took pictures in the past. 

icon-quote.gif
Matt:
Sorry, the only oil on this bird was the sun tan lotion floating on pool water.  Rescued this white-winged during a rain storm when it went into the pool.  Obviously took a little while to dry off.  I get a few of these every year just never took pictures in the past. 

Awwww - poor thing!  Kudos to you Matt for "rescuing" the little guy!

This is a shot of a chick that didn't make it.  Below it is a healthy one.  Just the eyes alone tell the story but the bill is stunted also.  Both are Great-tailed Grackles.

original.aspx 

original.aspx

This was dropped by a Sharp-shinned Hawk. 

In a different thread we are discussing decapitation of prey by raptors and I found (through Google) that it is a common practice (not exclusive).  

post-4928-643629480_thumb.jpg

I came across something odd today.  I was out at Bolsa Chica Wetlands (in Huntington Beach, CA) this morning and found three dead Grebes, all in separate places but not far from each other (maybe a few hundred feet or so).  I reported it to the visitor's center but they didn't know what it might be, either.  One of them looked like its neck was torn up.  Below is a shot of one of the other bodies; I didn't want to take a picture but thought someone on this forum might have some thoughts as to the cause.  If it was just one dead bird it wouldn't be a big deal but three is very odd.  Also, all 3 were very close to water so I don't think they got stranded on land as can happen with Grebes.

I watched this bird wade/munch through a deep puddle of cow pooh for 15 minutes.  What it found at the bottom of the pond is beyond me.  Needs to change the name from white-faced to ****-faced.

post-4928-1033122584_thumb.jpg

I have seen parts of birds while birding but never this.  I would have thought that the food chain would have taken care of this. 

post-4928--500267480_thumb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
Matt:
I was trying to take a picture of a fly and this female Bullock's Oriole stole the show.

Don't you just hate it when that happens, Matt??!! Smile

Iwas sweeping the pool when there was a commotion by the feeder. Ilooked up and birds were flying everywhere. About 8' in frontof me, at eye level, a Cooper's Hawk hit a Mourning Dove in a cloud offeathers. The two hit the ground inches from my feet, rolled, andstopped less than 3' away. So here is this great hawk looking upat me and the dove is still blinking, crimped in the talons.  I went toback away in hopes of getting my camera but the hawk released the doveand flew away (as did the dove).  There were feathers everywhere.  

So I know that all of you are askingthe same question.... Why weren't you carrying the camera with youwhile cleaning the pool?  I did that once and the wife complained thatit didn't go well with my required pool cleaning outfit, my Speedos. What birders have to give up for marital bliss....

Edit: Thanks lyceel (see next message), your response was better than my ending.... 

post-4928-1428790856_thumb.jpg

Wow.  First you painted this great mental picture of a Cooper's and a Dove and nature at work, and then...  well, then it was gone.

Tongue Tied 

Western Gull with missing foot - maybe got it bitten off by a shark or other predator?   He/she seemed to get around on "foot" fairly well, considering it only had the one foot to hop around on.

OK, one sad but both odd....  the next two ground birds are anything but.

This is a male Western Tanager.  Wouldn't be seen on the grass except that it is injured from hitting a neighbor's window.

post-4928-604807768_thumb.jpg

This was kind of odd...  A Palm Warbler poking around on the beach.

BTW, Happy New Year, everyone!  Drinks

post-6866--1918574712_thumb.jpg

Tailess Junco!!! He's been hanging around for the past couple of days and I hope he sticks around longer!

post-6471--1647354968_thumb.jpg