Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

haha nice faceplant photo, i live in arizona too and get doves smashing into our backyard windows leaving perfect wing prints, 2 birds have killed themselves doing this, and one was a yellow shafted northern flicker. it was quite sad.

I wasn't sure if I was ever going to post this picture, but it is just so odd that I thought I'd share it. It's kind of morbid, and I probably wouldn't have taken the picture if I didn't need the zoom of the camera to confirm what I thought I was seeing. I was driving along a country road and thought I saw a plastic grocery bag caught up in a tree, when I looked again it looked too big for a grocery bag, when I looked the third time as it was disappearing from sight, I knew it wasn't a plastic bag but couldn't be 100% sure of what it was. I pulled the car over, reversed along the shoulder, pulled out the camera and was sad to see my suspicions were confirmed. Caught in the fork of a branch high up in a tree, there was a Great Blue Heron hanging by it's neck. This picture was taken on Dec 7th, 2009, and I first suspected it was a late migrant too weak for the flight but then I found out that it had been hanging there for more than week, possibly two weeks or more. I dismissed the late migrant theory because I was still seeing other herons in the later part of November. I have speculated how this bird ended up in this fatal predicament and an endless number of possibilities come to mind. Regardless of how it happened, it definitely falls into the odd category.

post-7848-798941360_thumb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
lonestranger:
I wasn't sure if I was ever going to post this picture, but it is just so odd that I thought I'd share it. It's kind of morbid, and I probably wouldn't have taken the picture if I didn't need the zoom of the camera to confirm what I thought I was seeing. I was driving along a country road and thought I saw a plastic grocery bag caught up in a tree, when I looked again it looked too big for a grocery bag, when I looked the third time as it was disappearing from sight, I knew it wasn't a plastic bag but couldn't be 100% sure of what it was. I pulled the car over, reversed along the shoulder, pulled out the camera and was sad to see my suspicions were confirmed. Caught in the fork of a branch high up in a tree, there was a Great Blue Heron hanging by it's neck. This picture was taken on Dec 7th, 2009, and I first suspected it was a late migrant too weak for the flight but then I found out that it had been hanging there for more than week, possibly two weeks or more. I dismissed the late migrant theory because I was still seeing other herons in the later part of November. I have speculated how this bird ended up in this fatal predicament and an endless number of possibilities come to mind. Regardless of how it happened, it definitely falls into the odd category.

I am glad you post it, not that I am into death but let it be a lesson to us all that we all (gods creatures) are subjected to death at some point in time. I would like to hear your theories on what happened here.

I have never gotten close enough to get a great shot of these birds but in watching them they are continually jostling one another when they perch in the trees maybe a couple where fighting one slipped and fell back and eneed up like this the more they stuggled the tighter the wedge

Thanks for sharing lonestranger. I would have only suspected something of this nature to happen to a bird (any bird) just learning to fly. Whatever happened, it must've taken the wind out of it immediately. Otherwise, I would think it should have been able to flap hard enough to release itself.

icon-quote.gif
thekiwi:

I am glad you post it, not that I am into death but let it be a lesson to us all that we all (gods creatures) are subjected to death at some point in time. I would like to hear your theories on what happened here.

I have never gotten close enough to get a great shot of these birds but in watching them they are continually jostling one another when they perch in the trees maybe a couple where fighting one slipped and fell back and eneed up like this the more they stuggled the tighter the wedge

A few of my theories include a slipped up landing or take off, a miscalculated take off from the river below the tree without enough room to clear the tree top, a fog induced collision with the tree, a predator or nuisance bird intfering at the wrong time, or possibly a bad sleep walking experience??? The possibities are endless but it does make one think.

At first I thought it was just unusual lighting that made this pheasant look so light but as I moved the coloring did not change and the day was very overcast.  I did not get a picture while it was on the ground as it hid so well in the grass. so here is a picture of it flying away.  I am calling it leucritic see if you agree.

This is really odd...

I was birding a lake front the other day and found this amongst a flock of about 50 Yellow-rumped Warblers in the reeds. Dunno what happened here! He seems to be impaled ventral-side up on three separate reeds, and quite deeply too. At first I thought it was a freak accident, maybe a strong gust of wind, but the reeds don't seem that strong or sturdy. Then I thought maybe a Shrike, but this isn't really Shrike country around here, and without thorns or other impaled animals, really doesn't fit the Shrike's MO. Now, this area is right on the edge of a college campus, so perhaps it was some sick/drunk/both college student with nothing better to do. Anyway, it's a bit sad, and more than a little gruesome, so view at your own risk.

impaledyrw.jpg 

This jay has been hanging around our feeders for a while now.  It seem to be just fine but it's right wing has an issue (maybe it's a political bird!).  If you look at a head on view it seems to stick out a little and it looks funny from the side,  However it seems to act perfectly normal.

DSC04739.jpg

this is oddity #2

This little junco has been with us all winter and is blind in one eye.  It feeds with all the others and gets along fine.  The only problem I could find is that it couldn't see a preditor if it came along.  We saw a merlin once on our deck but other  than the neighbors cat it doesn't have much to worry about.  But my two schnauzers seem to handle the cat just fine!

DSC04736.jpg

Interesting wing comment.  I have a Curve-billed Thrasher that has been around for 3 years who's right wing clearly hangs low.  It has had no impact on mating and rearing young.

This probably shows it a little better, my son is the one who noticed both birds.  Although he claims not to be a bird watcher!

jayfence.jpg

icon-quote.gif
MR bluebird:
At first I thought it was just unusual lighting that made this pheasant look so light but as I moved the coloring did not change and the day was very overcast.  I did not get a picture while it was on the ground as it hid so well in the grass. so here is a picture of it flying away.  I am calling it leucritic see if you agree.

I am of the opinion that it is actually a Silver Pheasant there have been a number of them posted here of late.

I've named it Finocchio.  It is one of the first to the feeder every morning and is tame enough to stay there while I refill the feeder.  It has to put its head down flat sidesways to pick up seeds, but otherwise seems to manage okay.

finocchioweb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
Bird Brain:
icon-quote.gif
Matt:
Odd shaped beak on this hummer.  Shot through a window.

I think that's a Short-billed Speckled Hummer.
Smile

Does that make this a Short-billed non-Speckled Hummer?  Stick out tongue

post-7848--176293904_thumb.jpg

I only took this picture because I didn't know what this bird was.  When I got home - suprise - it's a robin.  This looks to be a partial leucistic to me.

robin.jpg