Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

lyceel    349

Last weekend, I was able to get really close shots of a couple of wetland birds (at Viera Wetlands).  I thought I'd share them, as well as a few of my other close-up shots.  Who knows, it might make a good theme thread...

Cattle Egret, just about as colorful as they get...

original.aspx 

This Limpkin posed for his portrait.  Not sure what made this one so friendly.  They're usually kind of skittish...

original.aspx 

White Ibis.  Seems like they're always trying to eat something!

original.aspx 

American Coot, from a couple of weeks back.

original.aspx 

lyceel    349

A couple more from the Florida Keys (just after Christmas)

Great Egret (with some preening fuzz...)

original.aspx 

Laughing Gull (doesn't seem like he's in the mood for laughing, though)

original.aspx 

• Like 1

Curlybird    13

Fantastic shots! Can't compete with those but here's a "friendly" Black-crowned Night Heron I found the other day at a local park.

smo4142    13

WOW..these are GREAT Shots of some gorgeous birds. What kind of lens are you using. I can't seem to ever get close enough to get a nice clear close up picture.

lyceel    349

It's not so much the lens as the location.

To answer your question, all of the above shots were taken with a Tokina 400mm f/5.6 lens, but I was only able to get these shots by getting relatively close to the subjects.  Viera Wetlands is a man-made wetland consisting of several ponds separated by dikes.  It's situated next to a wastewater treatment plant and is used to further treat the water to remove excess nutrients before releasing it back into the ecosystem.  The water company was nice enough to let the public use the wetland for wildlife viewing, so you can drive your car along the dikes.  Most wildlife is far less afraid of four wheels than they are of two legs, so you tend to be able to get much closer to the birds in a car than you could on foot.

The top four photos were all taken at Viera Wetlands.  The other two were taken in the Keys at a dock.  The dock was home to a fishing boat, so the birds tend to hang out there and wait for the boat to return.  They also weren't too afraid of people.

lyceel    349

Great stuff, everyone.  I especially like the Bittern and the hummer.  What did you take that shot with, a microscope?!

I don't fault you for a captive Baldie shot, lonestranger.  My own Eagle shots are all from frustrating distances as well.

icon-quote.gif
lyceel:

Great stuff, everyone.  I especially like the Bittern and the hummer.  What did you take that shot with, a microscope?!

:)  Close... Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro.  I was lucky enough to have a little subject that was very friendly and let me get as close as I wanted.  In this case, I believe the end of the lens was about 12" from him.

Bird Brain    4196
icon-quote.gif
lyceel:

I don't fault you for a captive Baldie shot, lonestranger.  My own Eagle shots are all from frustrating distances as well.

Thanks, lyceel. We were driving thru the Wetlands when I spotted this Bittern on the side of the dirt road up ahead. It eased off into the grass and assumed its "frozen" position that can conceal them so well! I slowly pulled up beside it and was able to get this shot from the car. There was just enough of an opening in the grass to get a clear shot from about six feet away. Once in a lifetime!!  

mj3151    14

Herring Gull 

HerringGull3-2.jpg

1st winter Ring-billed Gull

Ring-billedGull1stwinter.jpg

Adult Ring-billed Gull

Ring-billedGull.jpg 

Carolina Chickadee

CarolinaChickadee3.jpg

Common Yellowthroat

CommonYellowthroat-3.jpg

Indigo Bunting

IndigoBunting3.jpg

Harbor Seal

HarborSeal4-1.jpg

• Like 3

mj3151    14

icon-quote.gif
BirderMadeleine:
Nice pictures everyone! I like your shots mj! All taken in Texas?

Thank you Madeleine. The Indigo Bunting was from South Padre Island, TX, but the other birds were all from Maryland and Delaware. The seal was in Barnegat Light, New Jersey.