Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
BirderMadeleine

Landscape and Scenery photographs!

Liam, if you aren't planning to get into professional photography when you get out of school (I know you're still a young'un) then you're missing your calling!  Your photography is spectacular!!

Thanks guys, yes, I plan to go into professional photography even before I get out of high school. Just after I get a good lens for my Nikon. Wink

I am planning to become an ornithologist though.

IMG_6026_5272_7_5273_8_5274.jpg

Evening Walk

Porosktar West Truckee River Park, Reno, NV

Going camping this weekend for birding and new landscape material. Just so ya know I'm a Kodiak Canvas tent camper and also the only moderator of www.campingforums.com.

Thanks Liam...been lookin' at yours too. Got great potential. With mine the process of landscape photography is called HDR. I'm a naturalist so I don't do a lot of funny tweaking of images like what many other photographers are doing on those specific photo sites. I also shoot in RAW, I back everything up on DVDs and with Digital Western Images backup external Hard Drives. I don't use a laptop so I don't communicate with the world when I go camping. In the last six weeks we have camped out 5 weekends. You shouldn't wait to start turning into a pro-photog until you get another lens. One is all you can use at a time, anyway. Just move in closer. You should start selling your work, that'll make you a pro. It'll give you some bucks while you're studying your real love, birds! Thanks for your comments, it means a great deal to me!

I use RAW and HDR also. What HDR program do you use? I'm currently using Photomatix Pro 3.

Same as you! Every image I set out to capture(even our fine feathered friends) I'll shoot from tripod and AEB. Sometimes I'll hand-hold. Got tons of throw-a ways, but it's digital so who cares and I'm having fun! I also have still a few galleries around Reno and in NYC and a few other cities that show my framed work. I worked over thirty years for the Dept of Defense and the Interior as a photog & lab tech. But I am so happy that I found this site and this forum that I'm eager to learn more about the birds of my area and share what I can. What I dislike about other "photo sites" every other wanna be photographer thinks that they are the cat's meow. But here I'm accepted a bird lover first then everything else just falls into place.

Diablo-Campout_5600_1_2_ton.jpg

Diablo Campground, Lake Basin Sierra Nevada Mountains(70 miles north of Lake Tahoe), CA

Here's our tent, it's a Kodiak Canvas Wall Tent. The sleeping area is 9x12(perfect for two), the screened porch area is 8x12. It takes us(me and my Desert Rose) 1 1/2 hours to set-up camp, we are not in any hurry; it's all part of believing we are on a mini-vacation, we even have a glass of good vintage wine when we take a break to bird watch! This is luxury tent camping, yes, I have a tent heater, a portable gas grill and even our own porta-potty, oh my! Thanks for looking!

Wow. What a waterfall!

Here's mine in North Carolina. Looking Glass Falls

post-10000-118310656_thumb.jpg

Nice falls, thanks for sharing!

Hey my bride is from Eastern TN up north near the border between NorCaralina and somewhere's I got a waterfall call Elk River Falls. Do you know of this Falls? Also close by is Grandfather Mountain, just beautiful country! She also has relatives in Sweetwater & Telico Plains TN, is that close to you? I know norcaralina is a big state, I'm just trying to strike a friendship.

Well, I have only passed through TN. Never been in it for more than a couple hours. I hardly ever stray out of Georgia/South Carolina. Augusta, my city, is right at the border of South Carolina. I have not heard of Elk River Falls, but I assume that if it's a waterfall, it's gorgeous. Wink

I have relatives in North Carolina, but the city name ain't comin' in my mind right now. I also have relatives in Lexington, Kentucky, which I visit nearly every summer.