Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Great Black-backed Gull and Turkey Vulture

Kinda gives you an idea how big that Gull really is!

I think I read the GBBG has a wingspread of something like six feet! Wow:)

Snow Goose, Ross's Goose, Canada Goose and Cackling Goose all wrap up in one photo. Taken Barr Lake State Park in Colorado.

t5Lnp8Y.jpg[/img]

• Like 7

Ok - Which one is the Cackling? I can't tell the difference...

The two in front of the white geese.

::Edit:: There's a few more in there as well.

Red-tailed Hawk vs. Juvenile Bald Eagle

HawkEagleComparison_zpsb9df2f70.jpg

Northern Cardinal (female) vs. Northern Flicker

NorthernFlickerandNorthernCardinal_zpsfc1015cf.jpg

Red-bellied Woodpecker vs. House Sparrow

Red-belliedandhousesparrow_zps3fb30573.jpg

And, who cares??? PARTY!!!

Birdbathparty_zpsf33d9cf4.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent comparison shots on the Grebes, cany!!

Thanks. I worked hard to get that pic given there was only one Clark's on the water!

My gaggle of geese.

The goose in the front left is a hybrid. Canada x Chinese. Back behind it is the usual graylag (which apparently is most common in Canada Hybrids), to the far right is the Chinese Swan goose. You can see the coloring matches the hybrid. As for the white one, um...Chinese again? I'm not sure. But hey, a mix of domestics and one mutt for comparison.

8724347413_238b328a9a_z.jpg

Geese by notrufus, on Flickr

• Like 1

Greater (left) and Lesser (right) Yellowlegs

wrLImJC.jpg

Melissa, how much further away was the Lesser as compared to the Greater? Darn if I will ever be able to tell these apart. But then I don't get any practice as we have mostly Greater in my neck of the woods. :)

• Like 2

Melissa, how much further away was the Lesser as compared to the Greater? Darn if I will ever be able to tell these apart. But then I don't get any practice as we have mostly Greater in my neck of the woods. :)

They were a few feet away from each other. This'll probably be one of the only chances I'll get to see/photograph them together! It was especially cool seeing their differences: size, bills, coloring, feeding styles. :)

They were a few feet away from each other. This'll probably be one of the only chances I'll get to see/photograph them together! It was especially cool seeing their differences: size, bills, coloring, feeding styles. :)

Okay, thanks Melissa, that helps. I'm gleaning from this that the Lesser would appear almost this small, but not quite, as compared to the Greater if they were the same distance from the camera.

This is a great topic for us newbies!  It would be very helpful if you describe which bird is which and what's important about the comparison, when posting, for us that don't have a clue yet :)

Greater (left) and Lesser (right) Yellowlegs

That's a good comparison.  The thing that always sticks out to me when trying to ID these guys is how the Lesser just looks more svelte and slender overall than the Greater.  There's just less mass on top of those long, skinny legs :)   The Greater just tends to look more bulky overall.  This photo shows that pretty well.

• Like 1